Why do chickens "chew" or "smack" their beaks?

Kiwi also used to take dust baths ON MY LAP as a chick. Especially when I was wearing a fluffy jumper.
Chickens have strange and different ways of showing affection. Ginger shows it by following me around until I give her a hug...
My chicks bumped the brooder top at night untill it was open, and then fly up to my bed where I would put the screen back at night

Hey y'all!

You know how when you hold a chick or chicken, it kind of "chews" or "smacks" its empty beak? Why do they do that?

Just curious!
This beak smacking is the same as when your dog licks his lips when you're petting them. It's a sign of happiness and or contentment. Wiping their beak on you is also a sign of that. It's a way to show trust and they're form of love. I have girls and boys that do it when we cuddle them. I hope this helps!

Hey y'all!

You know how when you hold a chick or chicken, it kind of "chews" or "smacks" its empty beak? Why do they do that?

Just curious!
I'm glad I'm not the only chicken lover who has noticed this. I know they do it when they're happy and content but I couldn't tell you the Instinct behind it. Maybe they feel secure like when they were in the egg and they're sucking yolk.

Back
Top Bottom