Why do Guinea fowl make so much noise?

I know this is an old thread, but I just have to know, Exactly how loud is a guinea hen? I know most will respond with just LOUD but can you compare it to something? Louder than an african goose or chukar partridge? I like in town so noise is an issue, but mind you I have an African goose and chukar. I really want guineas because we do have a problem with birds of prey, cats, and occasionally dogs, raccoons, and skunks

I know this is an old thread, but I just have to know, Exactly how loud is a guinea hen? I know most will respond with just LOUD but can you compare it to something? Louder than an african goose or chukar partridge? I like in town so noise is an issue, but mind you I have an African goose and chukar. I really want guineas because we do have a problem with birds of prey, cats, and occasionally dogs, raccoons, and skunks
about as loud as an average rooster. I find they're a lot quieter when they're raised from hatch with other fowl, like chickens or quail. If you get them young enough, like less than a week, they'll bond with you too, so you can actually touch them and hold them. Picking them up is still an issue, but if you bond with them, they'll readily hop onto your arm, which is just as good. Bonding requires a LOT OF TIME. My preferred method is putting chicks, ducklings or keats under my shirt where it's warm, safe and they get used to my scent. Keep them there for an hour at a time, then hold them in your cupped hands for a while. Once they stay in your hands, open your hands slowly and see if they stay. Once they stay, put them on your shoulder, preferably if you have long hair they can hide in. They will gain confidence with you that way. Once they trust you, they are extremely sociable and will fly up on you all the time. This also makes them calmer and less noisy !

about as loud as an average rooster. I find they're a lot quieter when they're raised from hatch with other fowl, like chickens or quail. If you get them young enough, like less than a week, they'll bond with you too, so you can actually touch them and hold them. Picking them up is still an issue, but if you bond with them, they'll readily hop onto your arm, which is just as good. Bonding requires a LOT OF TIME. My preferred method is putting chicks, ducklings or keats under my shirt where it's warm, safe and they get used to my scent. Keep them there for an hour at a time, then hold them in your cupped hands for a while. Once they stay in your hands, open your hands slowly and see if they stay. Once they stay, put them on your shoulder, preferably if you have long hair they can hide in. They will gain confidence with you that way. Once they trust you, they are extremely sociable and will fly up on you all the time. This also makes them calmer and less noisy !
Thanks a ton, you have renewed my faith in getting a pair! I raise all of my birds just the way you said, I like to have the most personable birds possible whether it be a pheasant, goose, chicken, or duck. And the great thing is i have long hair and my chickens love to hide under it! haha

Back
Top Bottom