Why do you guys choose to have backyard chickens?

The smaller, backyarder, with a half dozen chickens simply doesn't have the economy of scale, as they would say in industry. Based on what I read here, it is more about the self satisfaction, the enjoyment factor, the hobby, the pet, and so forth. In other words, the "pay off" is more intangible, but that doesn't make it any less rewarding.

The larger flock keeper, in a more rural setting, can buy feed by the 100 lb bag or by the ton from a local mill at virtually half the cost that a backyarder typically pays at a "rural lifestyle" store. They sell eggs, chicks, point of lay pullets, hens, etc. Get rich? No, not many, but most break even or make a reasonable profit, if you don't count their labor. The "pay off" for the rural flock keeper also enjoys the experience, or wouldn't be dedicating all the labor, pure and simple. I fall into the second category of chicken keeper.

Personally, also we have an additional benefit that is somewhat harder to compute in dollars and cents. We garden professionally and simply could not do it without the chicken litter. This is the engine that drives the organic gardening process. Hope these thoughts and reflections were helpful.

I chose chickens because I've always wanted them. I enjoy them more than I ever imagined just having them around. After I had kids I became very concerned about where the food I feed my family comes from... Just reading most ingredient lists tells you most food you buy isn't actually food. To me that sealed the deal. Bless my husband for humoring me and even enjoying my hobby. That fantastic man even turned framing in the coop a project he included our toddlers in (I built and designed it, he provided the professional skill and knowhow). Our flock expanded from 2 original ducks to 8 chickens with eggs in an incubator and more ducks planned for spring while I research turkeys.

My egg sales pay for all feed and bedding for the birds and occasionally they feed my dogs as well. Like Fred's hens said, those of us that live in rural farming areas don't spend as much as the backyard flocksters. I don't make a lot of money but my cost per egg (outside of start up costs) and cost per dozen is half what I sell them for ($3. a dozen for chicken eggs $4 a dozen for duck). My hobby pays for itself in money and brings joy to my own slice of heaven while educating my kids about food and where it comes from.

I haven't read anyone else's answers to this question, but for me it helps me a lot with stress/depression and helps me get out of the house. I hated the outdoors before chickens. I was going through a bad time in my life, and they really helped me come out of it. I didn't think they would in the beginning. My cats and dogs don't make me laugh half as often as the chickens.

• They are WONDERFUL pets
  • They fertilize your garden, eating lots of pesty bugs along the way
  • They make your breakfast. Nothing beats an egg that was laid THAT morning. Whole foods can not sell you eggs THAT fresh.
  • I have 19 chickens (2 are ducks, so 17) and they take maybe 5 minutes in the morning, and 5 minutes at night. They stir up their own shavings, and I only change them twice a year.

If you are looking to make money, chickens aren't the best plan for small time operations.

I haven't read anyone else's answers to this question, but for me it helps me a lot with stress/depression and helps me get out of the house. I hated the outdoors before chickens. I was going through a bad time in my life, and they really helped me come out of it. I didn't think they would in the beginning. My cats and dogs don't make me laugh half as often as the chickens.

• They are WONDERFUL pets
  • They fertilize your garden, eating lots of pesty bugs along the way
  • They make your breakfast. Nothing beats an egg that was laid THAT morning. Whole foods can not sell you eggs THAT fresh.
  • I have 19 chickens (2 are ducks, so 17) and they take maybe 5 minutes in the morning, and 5 minutes at night. They stir up their own shavings, and I only change them twice a year.

If you are looking to make money, chickens aren't the best plan for small time operations.

There really is nothing like grabbing an egg that's still warm and using it right then, is there? Still makes me giggle.

First of all, I LOVE getting fresh eggs.
Our children "flew" the coop, it was time
to coop something else up!
gig.gif

I disagree that you can't make a net "profit" although I will agree that if that is a deal breaker you probably shouldn't keep chickens since a LOT can go wrong.
I currently am getting more out of my chickens then I am putting in but that took more planning than I originally thought.
The number one biggest expense is the coop and run. Even though I am now "in the black" I realize it will be quite some time before I make back the money that I spent on it.
That being said, I enjoyed building it and it would have cost much more if I bought it.

I only have three chickens but that gives me about six dozen eggs a month.
100 lbs. of feed costs about $23 here. - Lasts several months depending on how much grass/scraps is available.
1 bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar is $5 - Lasts a few months at a rate of 1 Tlb. per gallon.
The bedding is $14 and lasts several months but I consider it "free" since I compost it and the fertilizer I get out of it is worth at least as much as I paid for the rice hulls to begin with.

So if a dozen eggs costs $5 (the good ones at Whole Foods here do) then I'm getting $30 a month in eggs.
Enough to easily cover costs. Plus this does not take into account the free fertilizer.

Feed cost can be reduced dramatically if they are given access to grass and insects. Given the choice chickens will get 30% of their calories from grass.
They also make wonderful garbage disposals
lol.png
just make sure scraps account for less then 10% of what they eat.

Last edited:
I'm certain I'll never make enough money from eggs or save enough money by not having to buy eggs to pay for all the money I've invested in my chickens. However, I love going outside and watching them. They're very little trouble to take care of, and they provide many benefits - one of which (for me) is getting me outside and more active.

Chickens are like any pets or livestock. You can spend a lot on them or just give them basic necessities.
The difference in egg taste is incredible from storebought. Homegrown chicken elevates chicken soup to the gourmet level. You just cannot buy the difference in quality.
But the real reason we keep chickens is that it gives my DH something to keep him out of trouble in his retirement. And if you would know him, that is saying something!

Back
Top Bottom