Why does safe-guard have an egg withdrawal time?

Saveria

Mother to Many
Mar 25, 2021
Vermont
Does anyone know why this is so? I have read a couple different things on here, (like it can interact with human medications, or make a worm appear in an egg) but I thought maybe someone might know for sure. I know that SG has no toxicity level, so I was wondering why the suggested withdrawal, especially since the aqueous solution doesn't have one.

I am fine eating them myself, but just wanted to be sure since we sell eggs to some folks in their 70s and have a toddler who is eating them.

Thank you so much!

Some meds are not absorbed into the body, however Safeguard is absorbed while in the intestines. It gets filtered by the liver and transported all over the body, including the eggs. Allergic reactions can happen to some people causing vomiting and diarrhea.

I am fine eating them myself, but just wanted to be sure since we sell eggs to some folks in their 70s and have a toddler who is eating them.
Selling them is where the issue comes in, according to the law

Withdrawal times are when no detectable trace is left in the egg.. Maybe the following article can help (though I didn't see the exact answer you're looking for)..

http://www.farad.org/publications/digests/122015EggResidue.pdf

Last edited:
So weird, right? I can't wrap my head around how the aquasol has enough dosage to work, but no withdrawal period. My mind is turning to money-making-conspiracy-theories, but I am hoping there is a better explanation. 😅

I am thinking of biting the bullet and getting the aquasol, because my losses would be pretty big if I needed to stop selling for that long.

So weird, right? I can't wrap my head around how the aquasol has enough dosage to work, but no withdrawal period. My mind is turning to money-making-conspiracy-theories, but I am hoping there is a better explanation. 😅
No conspiracy, lol

Aquasol = fenbendazole @ 200 mg/ml and *is* water soluble
Safeguard for Goats = fenbendazole @ 100 mg/ml and is *not* water soluble

The active ingredient is the same, so when dosed properly, both can be given with a zero-day egg withdrawal.

You can use Safeguard for goats, with zero-withdrawal time, if you use the amount of fenbendazole approved by the FDA for use in laying hens. The approved amount is 1 mg per kg.

The FDA-approved dose of Safeguard for goats for a five-pound hen is:
5 / 2.2 x 1 / 100 = 0.023 ml per 5 pounds

Does that help at all?

Check out this thread:

Safeguard Mash - Zero Day Egg Withdrawal

No conspiracy, lol

Aquasol = fenbendazole @ 200 mg/ml and *is* water soluble
Safeguard for Goats = fenbendazole @ 100 mg/ml and is *not* water soluble

The active ingredient is the same, so when dosed properly, both can be given with a zero-day egg withdrawal.

You can use Safeguard for goats, with zero-withdrawal time, if you use the amount of fenbendazole approved by the FDA for use in laying hens. The approved amount is 1 mg per kg.

The FDA-approved dose of Safeguard for goats for a five-pound hen is:
5 / 2.2 x 1 / 100 = 0.023 ml per 5 pounds

Does that help at all?

Check out this thread:

Safeguard Mash - Zero Day Egg Withdrawal

@casportpony I know this is an old thread but @Eggcessive told me a couple days ago that it is 1/4 ml per pound so for my 5.5 pound bird I just now gave her 1.3 mls and was going to to that for 4 more days. Did I just way over dose my hen?? Can I switch to the super small dose you mention above and still be effective and have no egg withdrawals?? Now I’m freaked out I gave her to much!!

Back
Top Bottom