Why I haven't been on BYC lately

DaisyBuff

Crowing
Oct 15, 2020
Georgia
I have some sad news for all of you. On New years Day morning, I woke up early to tend to my birds. Expecting everything to be just fine, I checked my quail Alice's coop to check her food and water, but a sad sight filled my eyes, and broke my heart! I found my little Alice's life-less body on the floor of her coop. More than likely the cld weather. Alice was a bobwhite quail. She was 4 months old I also blame myself for not keeping her coop warm enough. Don't worry I will be getting 5 coturnix quail chicks in the spring from a friend that breeds quails. 4 females 1 male I will also be getting a incubator to start my own quail breeding. In the meantime I will be reading books and learning more about chicken and quail care. I will not post photos for Alice's sake. She was always afraid of cameras. Most of photos had my face in them. I am just not a face photo posting lady. She was super sweet. I even taught her some simple tricks. Alice was the quail that saved my Buff Orpington Daisy's life when she was a chick ( I think you can find that in one of my threads). Not just me but my buff Orp Daisy seems sad! She has been pacing back and fourth and not playing with her Rhode Island friends much. She is just not being herself! I did not know chickens grieve over the loss of a bird friend! Anyhow, I really miss Alice. I put her in a white box and buried her in my backyard beside buttercup ( my other buff orp that died a while ago) And pepper (A Plymouth Rock hen I had a few years ago ) They are all three buried beside a flower garden. I buried Alice right between Pepper and Buttercup. I will miss them! And that is why I have not been on BYC lately. Alice September 3 2020-December 31-2020 night or - Jan-1 2021 morning.

I remember one time a pigeon got run over outside or house which was already quite sad but the even sadder part is that it's partner saw it happen, flew over and would not leave it's side the whole day. I'll never forget that and it showed me how much even a simple pigeon had feelings, I learnt later on that pigeons mate for life so that's why it was so sad.
I am wondering though about the behaviour your chicken has shown. That sounds possibly like it could be disease instead of mourning. Considering the chicken it was sleeping with just fell over dead, it should be considered a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom