Why is my dove scared of everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostyWind

Songster
7 Years
Jun 12, 2016
Hey,
Ive been raising my dove since it hatched from it's egg, he's a month old now.
When he was still a naked chick and had fully opened his eyes, I've been introducing to everything around my home. Stuff that would and the many other creatures that would wonder around in my house, like birds and bugs.
My home is pretty noisy with kids laughing, jumping and making lots of noises and we're always playing music loud and watching movies and such.
I honestly thought that him being introduced to these noises at so young would of made him to be able to cope and handle and be normal with everything going on around him... But I was wrong.
Since he has gotten most of feathers already, and could stand and walk normal. Everything thing he sees moves he gets scared, he flies, he crashes, he falls on the ground and sometimes vomits because he hit his chest.
If someone stands up, he tties to flee somewhere or fly off. I thought he'd be like Ringneck doves or pigeons. But I guess this species is just very stupid.
Cause since he was small and had already opened his eyes, he was introduced to these kinds of stuff already.
If he sees a bird fly inside the house looking for insects. He'd scamper and damage himself while trying to fly off.
I have him on my shoulder where he always prefers to go and sit and cuddle against my neck but as soon as he someone walks in and he's ready to dive bomb the ground or fly out the window...
Will he grow out of this? Is it because he's a free bird and not in a cage? Is it because he's young and everything scares both young children and young animals?
I've read that these species are wary of stuff in the wild. Anything strange to them, they're not taking any chances and they'll fly off? Can that be it? Because it's a wary species?
The wild one that comes in my yard is very Comfortable with me around him/her when he's it's foraging for food?
I'm hoping it's just because he's young that he's scared of everything and hellh later grow out of it?
Here's a pic of him:
IMG_20190608_150151.jpg

What kind of dove is he? I think time and patience is your answer here. You won’t really know how laid back he will become until he has time to mature and learn he is safe. I would also make sure he can’t fly into things so hard he is vomiting. He could really really get hurt.
If they are known to be wary in the wild that may be ingrained in him but he may calm down with age I would think.
He is a cutie.
He's a White-tipped dove.
I really do hope he gets calmer when hesh older and mature. Cause I'm planning on carrying on trips with me except hikes. Places like waterslides with private cabins and beaches inside beach houses (we'll soon be going).
What you said gives me hope. And I'll keep trying with him.
Thank you

He's a White-tipped dove.
I really do hope he gets calmer when hesh older and mature. Cause I'm planning on carrying on trips with me except hikes. Places like waterslides with private cabins and beaches inside beach houses (we'll soon be going).
What you said gives me hope. And I'll keep trying with him.
Thank you

Are you mad? You need a mental health check up. This is a wild bird. You are cruel to keep it in a house with constant loud noise, things frightening it to make crash into things and fall to the ground all the time, banging its chest on the ground hard enough to make it vomit. OMG what is wrong with you?

You stole the egg from the wild, you have killed many doves with you trying to hand raise just one, blinded another with strong light.

What is in you mind that you think you can walk around with a dove on your shoulder in holiday places, on a beach, hiking and TAKING IT ON WATERSLIDES? It will fly away! Are you totally brain dead?

If you were in my country you would be fined for animal cruelty. I have already read your many posts about the all the birds and eggs you steal from the wild.. which is totally illegal and immoral.

I have also lost count of how many birds you have killed from mistreating them, causing them to slowly die of neglect, malnutrition and injuries.

I have complained to the moderators of this site to get you removed, but I see you are still here and still abusing animals. Shame on you. I don't know if you are just an evil cruel person or are suffering mental illness, but neither is an excuse for what you are doing to these birds.

i had hoped there was a misunderstanding in how you worded your intentions however it seems I responded without knowing the full situation. Wild birds are simply that. Wild and are not to be tamed as pets and will not become used to your home or tame down like you wish. Birds do not want to go on water slides. Please stop stealing wild bird eggs. :hit

Are you mad? You need a mental health check up. This is a wild bird. You are cruel to keep it in a house with constant loud noise, things frightening it to make crash into things and fall to the ground all the time, banging its chest on the ground hard enough to make it vomit. OMG what is wrong with you?

You stole the egg from the wild, you have killed many doves with you trying to hand raise just one, blinded another with strong light.

What is in you mind that you think you can walk around with a dove on your shoulder in holiday places, on a beach, hiking and TAKING IT ON WATERSLIDES? It will fly away! Are you totally brain dead?

If you were in my country you would be fined for animal cruelty. I have already read your many posts about the all the birds and eggs you steal from the wild.. which is totally illegal and immoral.

I have also lost count of how many birds you have killed from mistreating them, causing them to slowly die of neglect, malnutrition and injuries.

I have complained to the moderators of this site to get you removed, but I see you are still here and still abusing animals. Shame on you. I don't know if you are just an evil cruel person or are suffering mental illness, but neither is an excuse for what you are doing to these birds.
I mean it has to start somewhere? How'd you think you got domestic pigeons and doves in the first place? Ya that's right, they stole them from the wild and kept trying till they got it right. Now look at how much millions of domestic pigeons and doves there are everywhere thanks to those people.
Anyways. The bird wasn't blind at all, turns out it was just the sunlight on him... That same bird you said I blinded with a bright light is the one in the picture? Is he dead? No. He's growing. Now I've already thought up an solution for him to not be scared and it's working. He ain't no wild bird if I hatched him into captivity from an Egg and hand fed him.
Guess you can't read or just chose to ignore what I said about having him inside the private cabins and houses we rent when we're going to water parks and beaches.
Deaths will occur of course. But at least I finally got it right. I've successfully raised 2 doves from eggs that I got from the wild and they can fly away if they want, I always let them out along with my ring neck doves, but they choose to stay and sit around me or lime with the chickens and doves. Even tho there species come to visit them and fly off but they Don't join them.
What doves have I left from neglect and malnutrition?
If no one wants to add new domestic species to the Domestication list of birds (e.g Ringneck doves, diamond doves, zebra finches, pigeons,) then I'll be the one to do it...
I'm perfectly healthy, working guy and such. Insults won't stop me.
I'm more experience now. And I can assure you there will be no more deaths occuring.

i had hoped there was a misunderstanding in how you worded your intentions however it seems I responded without knowing the full situation. Wild birds are simply that. Wild and are not to be tamed as pets and will not become used to your home or tame down like you wish. Birds do not want to go on water slides. Please stop stealing wild bird eggs. :hit
Too late, already happened. Any animal can become pets except for ants, aquatic animals and large dwelling animals and some snakes, reptiles, spiders etc.
That's exactly how we all got chickens, pigeons, ostriches, emus, turkeys etc... They were all from the wild and through the years. They were domesticated.

Too late, already happened. Any animal can become pets except for ants, aquatic animals and large dwelling animals and some snakes, reptiles, spiders etc.
That's exactly how we all got chickens, pigeons, ostriches, emus, turkeys etc... They were all from the wild and through the years. They were domesticated.
Many animal species were wiped out or brought to the very edge of being so by "experienced" people taking them from the wild for the pet trade. It is true that all domestic species have wild ancestors, however in the modern day, your efforts to "domesticate" wild birds are almost always illegal and the sort of process you're referring to takes many generations. Wildlife around the planet suffers from foolish people like yourself. In certain Asian countries, songbird populations are being decimated by people trying to "domesticate" new singing birds other than your average canary. However the issue with this is many such species simply aren't suited for pet life!
Did you ever consider that there is a reason that we have certain species domesticated and certain ones that aren't? You have repeatedly said this dove species is nervous and that yours is so nervous in your care it injures and stresses itself to the point of vomiting. That doesn't sound like a domesticated animal to me. Your experiments are heartless and cruel, and people like you are the driving force behind these issues our world faces that I outlined above. Please stop being so selfish. Don't take anymore wild birds, and you should probably sell or give away the ones you have if you're having so many issues caring for them.
Just because you stole a few tropical doves from their nests and an odd one here and there didn't die immediately from your neglect doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.
https://theconversation.com/trading...rade-is-killing-off-many-animal-species-71571
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/05/Indonesian-birds-risk-extinction-pet-trade/

Many animal species were wiped out or brought to the very edge of being so by "experienced" people taking them from the wild for the pet trade. It is true that all domestic species have wild ancestors, however in the modern day, your efforts to "domesticate" wild birds are almost always illegal and the sort of process you're referring to takes many generations. Wildlife around the planet suffers from foolish people like yourself. In certain Asian countries, songbird populations are being decimated by people trying to "domesticate" new singing birds other than your average canary. However the issue with this is many such species simply aren't suited for pet life!
Did you ever consider that there is a reason that we have certain species domesticated and certain ones that aren't? You have repeatedly said this dove species is nervous and that yours is so nervous in your care it injures and stresses itself to the point of vomiting. That doesn't sound like a domesticated animal to me. Your experiments are heartless and cruel, and people like you are the driving force behind these issues our world faces that I outlined above. Please stop being so selfish. Don't take anymore wild birds, and you should probably sell or give away the ones you have if you're having so many issues caring for them.
Just because you stole a few tropical doves from their nests and an odd one here and there didn't die immediately from your neglect doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.
https://theconversation.com/trading...rade-is-killing-off-many-animal-species-71571
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/05/Indonesian-birds-risk-extinction-pet-trade/
Pet trade? Who says I'm gonna be taking many species from the wild to the point they're endangered? It's just 1 bird...
As I stated that young birds are always quick to get scared of anything.
It's just a matter of time before he calms down and be normal.
You're right about selling the ones I got which are Ringneck doves, they're being sold.
But the exotic ones stays.
Ain't my problem that Asia species are going down

I don't know why others have treated you so aggressively or what I am missing but the dove probably will calm down to an extent as an adult but will never be calm and tame enough to take outdoors or travel with like a domestic species would be. It will best be kept indoors in a large space. It is good you tried to socialize it, but it may be that this type of dove is simply high strung by nature regardless of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom