Why Is My WH Drake`s Head Turning Color?

Akpahsj

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
So I have a Welsh Harlequin Drake and when we first got him his head was a beautiful green with a little bit of greyish brownish speckles around his eyes, but now his head is mostly that color, only a little bit of green is left!
I heard something about them molting, but I don`t really know, as I am very new to ducks!
frow.gif

So what does this meanÉ thanks!

My Harlequins look very pale and colourless during a molt- more so the males, but I did notice that after molt the females looked even better than before the molt in their first year.

My welsh harlequin drake is molting too... He is 2 years old.. hopefully his head and neck will get a little greener in the spring... It does look funny as he's part grey and part green right now.. noticed his drake feathers are gone again too.. Daisy won't be too far behind.. Alas no eggs for a few months...

My WH drake was 3 months old on the 4th of July and I noticed today that he has the curl in his tail feather. His head is dark and you can see a green sheen beginning to show on his head, especially when he is in the sun. Mine haven't molted yet and they are such beautiful ducks.

Quote:
Right on! They tend to get less showy after breeding season and return to fancy courting colors when it is time to attract the ladies again.

Back
Top Bottom