Why is there no DNA test for color?

It seems like very little actual genetic facts are known about feather "quality" in general. Hookless (silkied) is a single gene recessive, but even frizzle apparently has modifiers that are somewhat documented, but generally not well understood.
I have seen "shredding" a lot more in large fowl than bantams, which corresponds to what I am presuming are 2 different alleles that give a "lavender" phenotype. But I would not be so quick to declare that as the root of the shredding. I have heard people say they have created lines that do not have the shredding, and also that breeding back to black (or whatever the undiluted type is) reduces shredding. If the shredding is a side effect of the "not lavender, but acts like lavender" gene, then how could an outcross to the undiluted color improve that? It is certainly not switching to the true lavender allele, or is it - since lavender can also hide in a population of black birds.

We are far behind other genomic research with poultry, but progress is being made. I think it is very cool to be involved in what I consider "cutting edge" genetic research. I am just a simple poultry breeder with an interest in genetics, and now I have the opportunity to help understand a possible new allele, that was really there all the time, just misunderstood.
I love Genetics! I keep telling my hubs that I'd go back to school to study it if it wasn't for the cost (just got my student loans paid off) and the school that has it closest to me is the other side of the state (Clemson University). Of course I'd have to retake ALL my Bio and Chem classes...UGH!

The Marans have a Lavender Wheaten variety that I'm hoping to get at some point.
I need to finish my business plan for our farm business, Specialty Produce, so I can see about getting some funding so we can stop spend ALL our money getting up and running that... I got the chickens I need to expand...lol chicken MATH.

Last edited:
OOOO! That would be a good one or ones! But I'm not sure if that would happen without humans messing with their genetic codes to get that.

Egyptian Fayoumis are supposed to be resistant to Marek’s (I want to say Newcastles too but am less certain of that) so no gene splicing or other similar shenanigans required, just some crossbreeding. Avian Influenza I don’t know if there’s a specific breed with natural resistance but I’ve heard of chickens surviving it so I assume genetic resistance exists, it would just be harder to nail down. One could probably breed in the resistance right now, but as with the blue egg gene a test would speed the process up - and unlike the blue egg gene, as far as I know there isn’t a good way to test for disease resistance without the flock actually getting infected. 🤒🤮

Egyptian Fayoumis are supposed to be resistant to Marek’s (I want to say Newcastles too but am less certain of that) so no gene splicing or other similar shenanigans required, just some crossbreeding. Avian Influenza I don’t know if there’s a specific breed with natural resistance but I’ve heard of chickens surviving it so I assume genetic resistance exists, it would just be harder to nail down. One could probably breed in the resistance right now, but as with the blue egg gene a test would speed the process up - and unlike the blue egg gene, as far as I know there isn’t a good way to test for disease resistance without the flock actually getting infected. 🤒🤮
There is a shot for AI but the problem there is it tests positive when testing for the virus there currently is no distinction between them. So I wonder if that goes for the natural resistance too?

There is a shot for AI but the problem there is it tests positive when testing for the virus there currently is no distinction between them. So I wonder if that goes for the natural resistance too?

I wouldn’t think so. The Avian Influenza vaccine uses (as far as I can tell) bits of the actual virus to grant resistance to AI, so if they’re testing for the presence of the disease then it makes sense it would make them come back positive for it. But hatching out with a gene that makes them harder to infect or whatever doesn’t involve the virus directly.

I wouldn’t think so. The Avian Influenza vaccine uses (as far as I can tell) bits of the actual virus to grant resistance to AI, so if they’re testing for the presence of the disease then it makes sense it would make them come back positive for it. But hatching out with a gene that makes them harder to infect or whatever doesn’t involve the virus directly.
Except there are cases were Humans were not exposed to TB and tested positive for it but when studied were found to naturally be immune. It was in my Micro Bio class years ago so I don't remember all the details. I just know it can happen. and If it did un the US they would most likely unalive the bird carrying the gene if that was the case. :'( I under stand not wanting it to spread but they could have already lost the chance to have a natural defense for the birds.

Back
Top Bottom