Why red grit with Anise?

Anise is said to be good for the digestion in humans. Perhaps the same is true for chickens?
hu.gif

It's used in feeds to promote consumption, e.g. Calf Manna.

ETA What's the purpose of chick grit? Chicks shouldn't be consuming anything other than chick starter, which they do not require grit to digest.

Last edited:
Is it anise for sure? Mine has anatto, which is just a colorant, used in South American cooking for added red color. It cane from a local TSC, but it may well be different from what you have.

We have a large grove of anise trees in our backyard, btw. Might have to see if the chickens like it.

I am under the impression all chicks need a sprinkle of chick-sized grit starting day 3. I think the red makes them pick at it better, just my guess. The other Manna Pro is just gray colored. The grit helps the digestion, even starter which is a solid of sorts. Plus, I like to give mine treats and they pick at grass and such if allowed outside for a bit.

HenZ

Sounds like it has vit./min. in it... That would give it a red look..
Who makes it? Could it be Kaytee Bay-Mor? They make a pigeon grit that is red like that..

It comes with anise oil as part of the blend. Ingredients also include: manganese oxide, copper oxide, calcium carbonate, granite grit, salt, charcoal, anise oil, zinc oxide, calcium iodate, ferrous carbonate, cobalt carbonate, oyster shell, and iron oxide.

Chris

Mine was from TSC, gone now, did not read the label, just noticed the color.

You are right, they don't need grit to eat chick feed. They were also eating some grass and weeds and bugs in their yard, and a little scratch feed as a treat. (It's a big yard; they still have not picked it clean by a long shot.) They were young enough that I wanted to give them the smaller size a while longer; seemed safer. I guess they were 6 or 7 weeks when I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom