Wild Duck ID needed

bayouchica

Songster
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
N.E. Louisiana
Hi yall, this cute little duck isn't from around here.He comes up when I go out & feed the ducks. Really likes the cat food & catfish pellets.
tongue.png

He's got a real long bill,like a shovel.These are the best shots I could get of him, he's as small as a wood duck.
I wonder what part of the country he's from??

100_2700.jpg

100_2694.jpg

Thanks ,Miriam

You got it right, "long bill like a shovel" You have a great example of an adult male Northern Shoveler. They winter along the southern US then migrate towards the North West for the summer.
Like all migratory birds sometimes they can get sidetracked especially if they find a nice habitat with plenty of food.

Hey thanks yall, I guess I need to invest in a bird book. Not too long ago there was a Mexican duck that hung out for some time,now gone.
I feel sorry for him since he's alone.
sad.png
He tries to hang with the other ducks but they won't have it.
I'm so excited he's starting to feel safe around me, just love to interact with nature in the wild.
A few months ago, we had a Blue goose (from Canada) stayed here from Oct. till April of this year. Goosey (what I named him) was so cool,he hung out with the domestic geese that roam the bayou. Sad to see him go, but they call of the wild beckoned him.
Thanks again yall,Miriam

Back
Top Bottom