Wry neck or other condition in newborn duck.

Nibbles not nipples. lol
Awesome congrats on your first assist very sorry the one didn’t make it. It’s hard to know when it’s good to jump in and help. ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar with mother. Only thing I don’t see on the orange is selenium. Wrap the duckling in a wash cloth or small Towel you might be able to work with it better.

He managed to drink water all by himself!!! Im so so happy he survived the night. I gave him vitamin b yesterday will do it again twice today. They also have some human vitamins in their water(the oragange one).
1000011182.jpg
This one is the one that survived the assisted hatching. I dont think he can strech his legs. He just keeps it up close to his body. Anything i can do?
1000011187.jpg

Attachments

• 1000011184.jpg
    1000011184.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 3
Good morning everyone.
I started incubating duck eggs for the first time 26 days ago.
My first duck was born in day 24 and the second in day 25 im still waiting for more of them to hatch.
But the second born duck has apparently some neck problem and cant put his head straight, he also walks backwards.
He feels to have as much energy as the other baby duck the day before and will stand up if i hold him.
What can I do to help this baby?View attachment 3836808

Where in PT? Coimbra here. What kind of ducks? I have Rouen.

If they were born that early is because temperature was way too high. I had some prematures before, but never that early. Either your setting was way too high, or the incubator is not calibrated giving a false reading. Not sure how to save the baby duck, this points to congenital defects from high temperatures.

Where in PT? Coimbra here. What kind of ducks? I have Rouen.

If they were born that early is because temperature was way too high. I had some prematures before, but never that early. Either your setting was way too high, or the incubator is not calibrated giving a false reading. Not sure how to save the baby duck, this points to congenital defects from high temperatures.
Hey! I am in Porto, right in the middle of the city. My incubator is calibrated to be at 38.1C Should i change it? I still have 11 eggs over there waiting. (i bought 4 adult ducks that were fertilized so i put the first 16 eggs they lay in the incubator every day. So some eggs are older and some younger).
They are Khaky Campbells.

Hey! I am in Porto, right in the middle of the city. My incubator is calibrated to be at 38.1C Should i change it? I still have 11 eggs over there waiting. (i bought 4 adult ducks that were fertilized so i put the first 16 eggs they lay in the incubator every day. So some eggs are older and some younger).
They are Khaky Campbells.
no, no, no! You can't do that, because in the last 3 days you have to increase humidity and put them on lockdown.

So during incubation humidity should be (for ducks) 45-55% as recomended by Brinsea at least. The last 3 days (25 to 28) it should go way above 65% and stay stable in lockdown.

During the first 25 days, humidity must be low so that the eggs loose weight to evaporation and the air box increases. In the last 3 days it should be increased in order to make the shell and membrane softer so they can break out and not get trapped. So you can't combine both policies in same incubator for eggs placed in different days.

If you keep adding eggs as it goes, then you loose control over the air pocket build for some and the softening of the shell for others.

As for temperatures, 38.1 is definetly too high. This is why you got the defects, if temperature is too high you speed up the embryo development (and speeding it creates problems), if temperature is too low then it slows down the development (and also creates problems). Problems being not hatching or being born with defects.

no, no, no! You can't do that, because in the last 3 days you have to increase humidity and put them on lockdown.

So during incubation humidity should be (for ducks) 45-55% as recomended by Brinsea at least. The last 3 days (25 to 28) it should go way above 65% and stay stable in lockdown.

During the first 25 days, humidity must be low so that the eggs loose weight to evaporation and the air box increases. In the last 3 days it should be increased in order to make the shell and membrane softer so they can break out and not get trapped. So you can't combine both policies in same incubator for eggs placed in different days.

If you keep adding eggs as it goes, then you loose control over the air pocket build for some and the softening of the shell for others.

As for temperatures, 38.1 is definetly too high. This is why you got the defects, if temperature is too high you speed up the embryo development (and speeding it creates problems), if temperature is too low then it slows down the development (and also creates problems). Problems being not hatching or being born with defects.
I learned about that 2 late to do anything unfortunately. What temperature should i put the incubators on?

He managed to drink water all by himself!!! Im so so happy he survived the night. I gave him vitamin b yesterday will do it again twice today. They also have some human vitamins in their water(the oragange one). View attachment 3837918This one is the one that survived the assisted hatching. I dont think he can strech his legs. He just keeps it up close to his body. Anything i can do? View attachment 3837920
Can you gently pull his legs out straight or will they not move?

Great news to hear the little one drank water by himself.

Back
Top Bottom