Wild turkeys

Retiredandluvnit

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2022
Iowa
We have 1-3 wild turkeys hanging around our chicken run a lot lately. With one turkey hen roosting on top of the coop tonight. Should I be concerned ? Anything I should look out for? Should I try and discourage the visitors ?

I've discovered that turkeys are susceptible to blackhead, and that it can spread to chickens, so you should probably start preventative measures such as adding cayenne pepper (not red pepper flakes) to their feed. I've also heard of Vitamin E and garlic water being used.

I've discovered that turkeys are susceptible to blackhead, and that it can spread to chickens, so you should probably start preventative measures such as adding cayenne pepper (not red pepper flakes) to their feed. I've also heard of Vitamin E and garlic water being used.
You have that backwards. Chickens can be the carrier that spreads blackhead to turkeys. For the most part, chickens can readily survive blackhead but it can be deadly to turkeys.

They can bring in mites and lice.... possibly other disease, but so can song birds
I have one wild turkey hen that was part of a larger group, now hanging around areas where my chickens free range, but not interacting with my chickens. My rooster is watchful. This turkey hen sticks close to one wooded area—possible nest but can’t confirm.
Other than parasites, what dangers does this turkey pose? Will it attack my hens or vice versa?

I have one wild turkey hen that was part of a larger group, now hanging around areas where my chickens free range, but not interacting with my chickens. My rooster is watchful. This turkey hen sticks close to one wooded area—possible nest but can’t confirm.
Other than parasites, what dangers does this turkey pose? Will it attack my hens or vice versa?
I have at least one wild hen show up every year. Other than eating a little feed and getting bred by my toms, they haven't hurt anything.

A wild hen should not bother your chickens.

my hens take offense and run the wilds off. I had one wild hen that would roost before mine and get off before mine, after a few days they finally ran her off

Back
Top Bottom