wild turkeys

6chickens in St. Charles

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
St. Charles, IL
These are regular visitors around here. They even stop to Hello us at the library, 2 blocks from our house! One, not in this picture, is a smoke/gray color, but just as wild.

25976_turkeys_library.jpg

I love our wild turkeys too. Sometimes, we have as many as 40 roaming our fields. They are year round and sleep in the pine trees right outside our bedroom window. During mating season, the young males will strut and display for my girls. It's pretty funny to see them strut and glide and shake those wings.....the hens seem quite bored. Here is a picture I took last Spring.

6471_april_1_2008_038.jpg

Every year, we will see examples of different colorations. I think they are just gorgeous.

6471_chicken_party_002.jpg

At this time of year, the most unusual thing occurs. All the turkeys seem to disappear. Now, I know what you are thinking, but next week, they will all return in the same numbers. It's like they know its Thanksgiving and they go on their own little vacation....perhaps they find a safe house?

We've got some wild turkeys around our house, too. We live on 28 acres and they make their home in our woods. There's three of them and they come every once in awhile to eat chestnuts in our front yard or to investigate our chickens and the coop
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom