Will a bird dog be safe around my chickens???????

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I never realized how lucky I am until I read the dog posts on here. I have a medium sized mixed terrier I got at the pound 11 years ago. In his earlier years, I had cockatiels and love birds, not chickens. I let the birds fly free for a portion of the day and Jack would run after them when they flew or jump at them when they were sitting on me (to make them fly???). He never ever got one of the birds or hurt them as I was always right there or I locked him up while the birds were out. Later, I gave up indoor birds for outdoor ones... chickens!!! (SO much easier!) Jack could care less about the chickens. He runs right by them to bark at "whatever" in the woods. He keeps the foxes, squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks away but ignores the girls. I never formally trained him - I just lucked out! I'm gonna miss that rascal when he goes!!! What a GOOD DOG!!

Ellen

Hi,

I don't think the breed matters so much as just the nature of the dog.
We have two Boykin spaniels that could care less about chickens (at least now that they are older).

However, we have a dachshund that would run a mile just to get a chance to view a chicken.

wink.png

Last edited:
my three high drive shelties have been told to leave them alone! and its working, all three herd and chase birds. If I move toward the girls with any purose, I have all three "helping".

all was peaceful in the garden the other night, dogs at my feet, wine and book in hand. stupid young chcik jumped on my senior dog, "terror of sheep".
He snapped, grolwed and sounde like he killed the chick, I ordered him in the house, found chciken with all body parts intact.
just a few feathers on the ground!
good dog.

Check out this dog thread from a couple days ago... I have a pretty long post on there....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10448

I have two labs that were trained to duck and pheasant hunt....neither will touch my chickens....but they are trained to get what I want and leave the rest alone.

The eggs though....same thing here as the previous poster...My black lab LOVES eggs...my fault for giving him some as treats! I just modified the coop door so the chickens can get in and the dog can't....now we're all good!

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom