Will a duck eat or probably kill its own egg

duck15

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Philippines Makati
If a male pekin duck mate with a female and the female layed fertilized egg and i put her to a small wooden house with some nest and put the eggs as well will she get broody if i lock her there and will the male duck kill the eggs or when they hatch?

Last edited:
Quote:
I've heard that pekins aren't that great of mothers, so you may want to just buy or make and incubator or get a hen or another breed of large duck (cayuga, muscovy, etc.) to incubate the egg. The female most likely wouldn't hurt the egg (on purpose), but I've heard of drakes destroying eggs and killing ducklings.

Quote:
I've heard that pekins aren't that great of mothers, so you may want to just buy or make and incubator or get a hen or another breed of large duck (cayuga, muscovy, etc.) to incubate the egg. The female most likely wouldn't hurt the egg (on purpose), but I've heard of drakes destroying eggs and killing ducklings.

Yeah the ducklings might be killed and someone just had a mother Pekin try to kill one of her babies so you should make/buy a brooder and incubator for the eggs. Or you could buy a broody breed of duck or chicken. WH and runners get broody not sure about chickens... GOOD LUCK
thumbsup.gif
fl.gif

Quote:

Yeah the ducklings might be killed and someone just had a mother Pekin try to kill one of her babies so you should make/buy a brooder and incubator for the eggs. Or you could buy a broody breed of duck or chicken. WH and runners get broody not sure about chickens... GOOD LUCK
thumbsup.gif
fl.gif

The only problem is that the drake pekin might crush the runner or WH when mating.

I had 30 pekins and not 1 would hatch out her eggs. Most of them would sit for about 3 weeks then abandon their eggs

Back
Top Bottom