Will chicken ever gain strength again?? Raw egg mash or no?

chickbee

Songster
6 Years
Apr 2, 2015
Richmond, VA
A couple of questions...

I've been feeding my sick chicken a raw egg mash. Also includes a variation of applesauce, Greek yogurt (0 sugar), rolled oats, Apples, & cod liver oil. Also have crushed up meal worms or grain. She is also on probiotics, Life Lytes electrolytes, and an antibiotic (from the vet).
I've read not to give chickens raw egg and then in multiple sites listed it lists it as something to give when they are sick. Just looking for some clarification on this. Raw egg or no?

This is for a beloved chicken that has been sick for over a month. It began when she would lay down frequently in the yard, stopped running, and had some issues with her balance at moments. After an initial vet visit, ruled out egg bound and parasites and was put on some antibiotics and just told to give general tlc. She seemed to get a little better. Then went downhill again with losing weight and weakness. Then began having significant crop issues. Her impacted/sour crop was then surgically cleaned out by a new vet I tried. This vet gave dewormer (just to be safe) and antibiotics due to her blood work/white blood cells showing some infection. We've considered mareks since the start and botulism but she is still hanging in there and doesn't seem to have all the signs of either. Also thought she'd be dead by now from those but maybe not.
As of now, she is not able to walk and hasn't been for about five days now. So it seems she is declining more. However, since the start and now she remains alert, curious, and has a great appetite and drinks well too. Other than not walking she seems her self.

I've searched weakness and stumbling in these boards and have gotten some tips. I just wish there was a clearer answer as to if she can gain strength back or not?? Or what else could possibly help her. Obviously, I've tried it all. She does try to get up and walk and gets excited when she sees me being her food/treats. Which makes it all the more harder!
I will say, these boards have been so great as a place for me to go as a somewhat new chicken owner (have had this chicken and my others for 2.5 years). She is my favorite chicken and there's not much I wouldn't do for her. Any insight welcome.

I've read not to give chickens raw egg and then in multiple sites listed it lists it as something to give when they are sick. Just looking for some clarification on this. Raw egg or no?
There are a number of reasons to not feed raw eggs to chickens but the most important reason is that the proteins that are in the egg are more digestible if they are cooked first. Hard boiling the eggs and then crumbling them is the best method. In your particular case I would recommend also giving her the eggshells too. A calcium deficiency can cause loss of motor skills and the inability to walk.

Is there vitamins in your electrolytes? Thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin E, and others can be important in leg issues. I have not heard about raw eggs not being absorbed as easily, but chicks feed on their own yolk as they grow. Raw egg combines well in a yogurt, chicken feed mash with water, and people use them in salad dressings and health drinks. Most flocks are salmonella free nowadays. I frequently use soft scrambled egg mashed finely for my chickens as well. Sorry that your chicken is not improving. It would be wise to get a necropsy by the state vet or poultry lab to look for Mareks if she dies. It usually affects younger birds, but still could be the issue. I really hope she starts to get better.

I have not heard about raw eggs not being absorbed as easily, but chicks feed on their own yolk as they grow.
Chicks absorb the nutrients as they develop. They do not digest the eggs, they are simply absorbing that which is already part of themselves.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/protein-in-egg#section3

"Does Cooking Affect the Quality of the Protein?
The high-quality protein abundant in eggs contains all nine essential amino acids in the right ratios.

However, how much of that protein the body can actually use seems to depend on how they are prepared.

Eating eggs raw seems to provide the least amount of protein.

One study looked at how much protein was absorbed from cooked versus raw eggs. It found that participants absorbed 90% of the protein from cooked eggs, compared to only 50% of the protein from raw eggs (4).

Another study provided healthy individuals with a meal that contained either cooked or raw egg protein. It found that 94% of the cooked egg protein was absorbed, compared to only 74% of the raw egg protein (5).

This means that cooking eggs helps the protein become more digestible and more accessible to the body.

In addition, eating raw eggs carries a risk of bacterial contamination and food poisoning (6, 7)."

If you're giving her probiotics, the yogurt isn't necessary. I tried giving my recovering rooster some yogurt and he loved it. But I'm on the fence. I'm not sure dairy is a good idea for chickens, even though I know lots of people do this and for good reason.

This would be one ingredient you could eliminate from her special diet.

I would encourage you to put her in a sling for physical therapy. This will help her regain leg strength gently. Research chicken slings and take a look at the photos. You can make one from an old sheet.

How long is she supposed to be taking the antibiotics?

If she has a great appetite, I wouldn't alter her diet too much from what she was eating prior to getting sick. Cooked egg daily is a great supplement, maybe some fresh cilantro or other greens, and you can put Nutri-Drench in her water and then spoon some onto the layer pellets for a mash.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

(Edited to change the pronouns from "he" to "she." I'm in rooster mode.)

Thank you to everyone so much. This was all helpful. I'm going to start cooking her eggs. Thank you R2Elk for that information!

I looked and, yes, her electrolyte tabs also contain vitamins including E, Riboflavin, and thiamine. I wish I could tell they were helping.

That makes sense about not having to give yogurt if giving probiotics, however, she really likes it. Hah. She eats whatever I mix in there as long as the Chobani is in there. I don't want to overload her though. And also wondered about dairy.

I wondered if greens wouldn't be good and think I will start giving those (like cilantro). I just have read so much on giving animal protein that it hasn't been the focus. Going to try that. I think that's wise to continue giving her what's she's used to so will try not to go too crazy. I've read that a couple places and makes sense.
She has three days left of antibiotics.

Funny the physical therapy was mentioned as I had actually looked up slings/carts for chickens and DIY. I thought to myself I'm really losing my mind! But if her walking seems to be the only issues I wonder, why not?! My husband is actully a Physical Medicine & Rehab resident physician so he was actually interested in this as well.

I'm just hoping building strength is the last bit. The vet and I were both feeling it's just some underlying infection we can't figure out and can't really fix. But hoping I'm wrong. I am guessing we will have to do necropsy since we have our other chickens (although they seem fine). Just not looking forward to that! Thanks all and will keep y'all updated. She's her usual perky sweet self this morning.

I would limit the yogurt to a teaspoonful 2-3 days a week. Chobani has a lot of live cultures. Many people with chickens use Probios powder. It lists only 1 type of bacteria.

When I first discovered the chicken sling, I was like, "I am so not liking my life right now!"

It took some time getting the holes just right and figuring out how to insert a creature with wings into the thing. Although your girl has an underlying problem, this will help with some of her boredom and should also help increase leg strength.

Let us know how it goes.

Update. Fiona continues to hang in there with pretty much no change in either direction. She still does not walk and it is apparent her left foot/leg is affected. She still continues to eat really well and drink water. She pecks around outside when placed in a good spot. She had a follow-up at the vet who feels her crop is now pendulous. It does feel much like a water balloon - although it empties and she does poop. I have ordered her a custom crop "bra" which should be here in a day as a last ditch effort for that. We waited on the sling just because I thought for sure she would take a turn for the worse. But she continues to hang in there! She is her usual sweet self. I take her in and outside throughout the day and she has an area outside where she hangs with the other chickens.
almost wish she would either get better or go downhill so we'd have a clearer idea of what to do. She just still isn't at that point yet where she seems to be suffering or like it's time to put her down. We are glad she is still with us and seems to actually be pretty content with her daily meals and care. Since she doesn't walk she does hang out inside and loves to be pet. Anyway, just providing a little update! Nothing new really!

Thank you for the update. Too bad that she is still not able to get up and around, but glad that she is enjoying getting out a bit. She seems a bit old for Mareks to be the problem, but it can cause tumors in the crop as well as lameness in a leg or imbalance. She may have a bad leg injury, and also be suffering from a reproductive disorder such as internal laying. I would get a necropsy to look for a diagnosis if she dies.

Back
Top Bottom