Will free range turkeys fly away?

I raised 2 poults this summer and they mixed in with my chickens fine but they follow me around and chirp a lot. Probably because they love the kitchen and garden scraps they get in the afternoon. If they bond to you I don't think they would leave. Mine go in with the other birds most nights or roost up on the highest fence or top of outside coop. I just get them down and then they go right in the coop. If you feed them inside that will get them to go in. My biggest predator has been raccoons and foxes.
This thread is from 2013. The OP who you replied to hasn't been on BYC since 2013.

I raised 2 poults this summer and they mixed in with my chickens fine but they follow me around and chirp a lot. Probably because they love the kitchen and garden scraps they get in the afternoon. If they bond to you I don't think they would leave. Mine go in with the other birds most nights or roost up on the highest fence or top of outside coop. I just get them down and then they go right in the coop. If you feed them inside that will get them to go in. My biggest predator has been raccoons and foxes.
At what age did you let them out of the brooder to walk around with the chickens? Since there are only two of them, I’m just so nervous to let them out.

Back
Top Bottom