Will my hen live??? Coyote attack.. Graphic photo

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
A few days ago my flock was attacked by what I know now a pack or pair of coyotes. There were two other missing and we found the remains of 1 in our yard eaten. There was a wing, intestine and eggshell left. I saw the coyote poop with coyote fur and berry seeds inside with a wild turkey feather stuck to it. We saw a pile of the turkey feathers too.

Here's my hen. The attack was a couple days ago. I just noticed she was bit since she was somehow hiding this VERY well! She is acting a bit off, but still with the flock. She's very high in the flock rank and I have not seen any other hen pick at her or I'd take her out. We have the supplies and room to move her. The bite is like this both sides, but this side is just a little worse.

4F81F7BA-4FF8-4D0B-8200-3FD072437F8F-1127-000000554C8418C7_zpsf0f353c6.jpg

I'm already numb over the whole ordeal. I can't lose anymore. Luckily the weather is cool enough to keep them locked up in their coop and run.

The two that are gone are in my avatar photo. :(

I gave my hen a bath with dog shampoo to keep the dirt off.

Last edited:
Is that an open wound? I can't tell by the picture. If so, you need to stitch her up. That WILL get infected. I would isolate her if that is an open wound, in a sterile as you can make it, area. To heck with all else...ANY bacteria in that wound and you WILL lose her. I don't know that you still won't, but atleast if you close the wound and keep it clean, which can NOT be done if she is not somewhere you can control her environment.

If you can not stitch her, your vet could. If you chose that route. Best of luck and hope things work out, poor baby!!!

New skin has already grown over, there is nothing open on either side. I can't believe I missed this, I am in the coop night and day. This is how well she hid it.

I can separate her, even inside the coop. I already have a kennel inside there since it gives my youngest group I just integrated a sense of security, but they are not using it much. I do have extra waterers and feeders.

I am amazed how well she's doing. I take her outside in the front with me for grass and bugs, but she wants to be with the flock. She's moving just fine, just not roosting at night.

Sorry about the quality photo, it was taken from my iPod touch.

There are feathers stuck to the scab.

A few days ago my flock was attacked by what I know now a pack or pair of coyotes. There were two other missing and we found the remains of 1 in our yard eaten. There was a wing, intestine and eggshell left. I saw the coyote poop with coyote fur and berry seeds inside with a wild turkey feather stuck to it. We saw a pile of the turkey feathers too.

Here's my hen. The attack was a couple days ago. I just noticed she was bit since she was somehow hiding this VERY well! She is acting a bit off, but still with the flock. She's very high in the flock rank and I have not seen any other hen pick at her or I'd take her out. We have the supplies and room to move her. The bite is like this both sides, but this side is just a little worse.

4F81F7BA-4FF8-4D0B-8200-3FD072437F8F-1127-000000554C8418C7_zpsf0f353c6.jpg

I'm already numb over the whole ordeal. I can't lose anymore. Luckily the weather is cool enough to keep them locked up in their coop and run.
This wound has to be cleaned several times a day,apply an antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane"toxic to chickens). Separate her immediately,if any chicken notices this wound,they will be relentless in pecking at her,possibly with dire consequences. Give her electrolytes/vitamins,keep her quiet. For pain give her a baby aspirin(81mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,may make her sleepy. Watch for maggots,leave wound uncovered if possible,let the air dry it out. Signs of infection are redness,swelling,foul smell from wounds,hen not eating/drinking,lethargic. You may want to start her on a course of antibiotics if you suspect infection. Make sure she is eating/drinking.

This wound has to be cleaned several times a day,apply an antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane"toxic to chickens). Separate her immediately,if any chicken notices this wound,they will be relentless in pecking at her,possibly with dire consequences. Give her electrolytes/vitamins,keep her quiet. For pain give her a baby aspirin(81mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,may make her sleepy. Watch for maggots,leave wound uncovered if possible,let the air dry it out. Signs of infection are redness,swelling,foul smell from wounds,hen not eating/drinking,lethargic. You may want to start her on a course of antibiotics if you suspect infection. Make sure she is eating/drinking.
X2 just wanted to add, you could do an antibiotic, small scale,( I forget the word ) as a preventative measure, but if her immunities have gotten her this far, I wouldn't myself...but is a personal choice....just so you know you can...

Thank you for the aspirin dose. I was wondering about it. I did give her a tiny bit if aspirin that was in the first aid kit.

The entire wound is either grown over or scabbed. I've been keeping it clean with hydrogen peroxide. It's been a couple days, she hid this very well. I saw it cleaning the run which I clean several times a day to keep the flies out.

I'm just sick over this. I already lost 2 of my best hens.

I have antibiotics. I treated her with them immediately. I don't expect her to ever lay again if she makes it. She's a really good pet.

Back
Top Bottom