WILL MY SERVICE ROOSTER SPREAD DISEASES?

GEORGE1948

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 4, 2012
I HAVE A 3 Y.O. DUTCH BANTAM SERVICE ROOSTER. MELVIN IS AN ONLY 'HOUSE
CHICKEN'.... LAST JULY WE SPENT $1300.00 TO SAVE HIS LIFE. 3 VETS LATER..
HE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH 'LEAD POISONING'....HE WAS NEGATIVE FOR ANY AND
ALL PARASITES...BUT WENT THRU CHILATION THERAPY. I FOUND OUT AVIAN VETS
DO NOT WORK ON CHICKENS.

MELVIN EATS, SLEEPS [UNDER THE COVERS], GOES SHOPPING AND GOES TO
RESTAURANTS WITH ME. HE WALKS ON A LEASH AND POOPS ON COMMAND.

MELVIN LIVES WITH OUR CHIHUAHUAS AND RULES THE CANINES. HE IS ON
FACEBOOK AS MELVIN T. ROO [MELVIN THE ROOSTER] AND ALWAYS LOOKING
FOR NEIGHBORS IN THE GARDENS OF TIME.
HE IS ON MY SHOULDER WATCHING ANIMAL PLANET AS I AM TYPING THIS. YES...HE
KNOWS HOW TO TURN ON THE TV.

I RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING EMAIL FROM A FELLOW DOG CLUB MEMBER.

[[[Just so you know............ For reasons of my, and my pet's health ,
the chicken/rooster is not allowed in my house, in or out of the bag,
crate, or any other container. Plus, in consideration for the insured
health of my grooming clients, and my own animals, I do not want him
going to "the bathroom" in my yard anywhere that they might walk their
dogs. I know you think he is healthy, but I, honestly, am not so sure.]]]

MY QUESTION IS..... DOES THIS PERSON HAVE ANY LIGITIMATE
CONCERNS?

3 YEARS AGO I GAVE HER 5 OF MELVINS' HATCH
MATES. I BOUGHT THE EGGS ON EBAY AND HATCHED THEM.
HE WAS TEXAS LAID AND MAINE BORN. OF THE 17 THAT HATCHED....
HE PICKED ME. HE IS THE SMARTEST ANIMAL I HAVE EVER OWNED.
I RECENTLY LOST MY 87 Y.O. MOTHER AND THIS BIRD CRIED
ALONG WITH ME. HE IS SO SENSITIVE TO MY NEEDS.

THANK YOU FOR ANY FEEDBACK ANYONE MAY HAVE.

I think i understand your question

a dog friend thinks Melvin will spread diseases, but i wonder why this is a problem..?

if Melvin is healthy, NO, chickens are clean animals, our dogs spend time with them all the time (how ever we dont have a house chicken but our babie chickens are inside right now) and they have never gotten sick

tell me if i didnt answer your question correctly

If by service rooster you mean he provides some kind of service for the disabled or visits nursing homes to provide entertainment, Melvin is most likely not exposed to the usual chicken diseases. You can have your vet do routine fecal exams, and provide proper documentation that Melvin is parasite free.

Melvin has an awesome job, but you will see some people have issue with having a chicken around them. They may be worried about being pecked or pooped on. Or they don't like the crowing. Maybe the dog owner is concerned his dog will eat Melvin's feces and get parasites. Unfortunately, most people will see Melvin as just a chicken, but you and I know better. He's given you something most people think only a dog or cat can give.

Respect the other person's opinion as you know what a special pet Melvin is. You and he have nothing to prove to anybody else. Avoid people who don't like him, and spend time educating people who are curious about him.

Last edited:
That guy sounds a jerk. I would just stay away form him. I think he is out to cause trouble if you take you rooster back.

There is NO chance a typical rooster can spread a disease to a dog! Honestly. Maybe this person is concerned with Avian flue or something like that. In my experience people like that are never convinced, and will be a problem for you. Just stay away form that guy and enjoy your rooster!

For the specific question, I've never heard of any diseases that can spread from chickens to dogs. Lice/mites, maybe. But then again, maybe his dogs will give fleas to your rooster? How about if you clean up after your rooster? Obviously he runs a business where dogs are going to the bathroom in his yard, so hopefully they are being cleaned up after?

Honestly, though, I'd just write him off as a jerk and stay away from him.

for the benefit of others who are reading - legally, there is no such thing as a "service rooster" unless you live in a state that allows that. Federal law has been reworded to take out any doubt - only dogs can be defined as service animals and have access rights to the public. Some states, like CA, expand on the ADA and allow more rights to the disabled person, but if you leave your home area, you lose those rights. For example, in CA you would be allowed to take your service rooster (rat, iguana, mini horse) into public. Go across the state line and the store manager can tell you to take that "filthy" animal off his property. Some cities offer extra rights, but again, that is only valid within the city limits. No city/state/county can pass a law that takes away rights guaranteed at the federal level, though.

If you have had this rooster for a long time and there has been no problem, then do not worry. The problem comes with spreading disease, when a bird is taken out of his environment and taken to ANOTHER poultry yard, then returns home. So dont let him hob knob with poultry outside of your yard and you are fine. chickens become immune in a way to all pathogens in their own back yard. the problems arise when they are taken out of that environment and only then.
As for spreading diseases to you, you would have had it by now!
The lead poisoning is a concern. Where did he get that? usually it is from a contaminated water source. M

For the specific question, I've never heard of any diseases that can spread from chickens to dogs. Lice/mites, maybe. But then again, maybe his dogs will give fleas to your rooster? How about if you clean up after your rooster? Obviously he runs a business where dogs are going to the bathroom in his yard, so hopefully they are being cleaned up after?

Honestly, though, I'd just write him off as a jerk and stay away from him.

for the benefit of others who are reading - legally, there is no such thing as a "service rooster" unless you live in a state that allows that. Federal law has been reworded to take out any doubt - only dogs can be defined as service animals and have access rights to the public. Some states, like CA, expand on the ADA and allow more rights to the disabled person, but if you leave your home area, you lose those rights. For example, in CA you would be allowed to take your service rooster (rat, iguana, mini horse) into public. Go across the state line and the store manager can tell you to take that "filthy" animal off his property. Some cities offer extra rights, but again, that is only valid within the city limits. No city/state/county can pass a law that takes away rights guaranteed at the federal level, though.

If by service rooster you mean he provides some kind of service for the disabled or visits nursing homes to provide entertainment, Melvin is most likely not exposed to the usual chicken diseases. You can have your vet do routine fecal exams, and provide proper documentation that Melvin is parasite free.

Melvin has an awesome job, but you will see some people have issue with having a chicken around them. They may be worried about being pecked or pooped on. Or they don't like the crowing. Maybe the dog owner is concerned his dog will eat Melvin's feces and get parasites. Unfortunately, most people will see Melvin as just a chicken, but you and I know better. He's given you something most people think only a dog or cat can give.

Respect the other person's opinion as you know what a special pet Melvin is. You and he have nothing to prove to anybody else. Avoid people who don't like him, and spend time educating people who are curious about him.

OK old chick, the reason I didnt know what a service rooster was of what Dainerra said, they arent really allowed.

Ya, your rooster wont spread diseases, the most is fleas, and a dog can give it to Him also.
Just avoid that guy, write him as a jerk

Your rooster is so pretty...
droolin.gif

Stay away from that jerk- he is trouble and you don't want to be near his dogs. People like that are trying to point the finger at someone in hopes no one will notice their own guilt. His dogs are probably spreading disease and he wants to scapegoat you.

That guy sounds a jerk. I would just stay away form him. I think he is out to cause trouble if you take you rooster back.

There is NO chance a typical rooster can spread a disease to a dog! Honestly. Maybe this person is concerned with Avian flue or something like that. In my experience people like that are never convinced, and will be a problem for you. Just stay away form that guy and enjoy your rooster!

I would also suspect it is something like this as I have likewise in conversation encountered a few people who seem irrationally afraid of getting Bird Flu or West Nile virus. (I was not with my chickens or anything at the time though.) And yup - it's also true that you will not convince them otherwise no matter what evidence you present.

It is best just to keep your cute 'lil roo away from him. Jerks like that are sometimes capable of some serious nastiness and it would be awful if your little guy got hurt.

Back
Top Bottom