Will the light affect them?

Helenambm10

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 9, 2018
Hudson, NH
I have a batch of day old chicks and I use a red light to keep them warm and toasty, a friend of mine said that i have to add a roof like part to the cage to provide shade for them to sleep because the light won't let them. She also said i should remove the food at night so they don't eat themselves to death, I usually kept the food dish mid full. Is what she saying true or should i just ignore her?

Welcome To BYC :welcome

Can you post some photos of your brooder?

The heat lamp is fine as long as it's secured very well and your brooder has plenty of space for the chicks to move to a cooler area (get away from the heat).
Chicks that have light 24/7 need to have food/water 24/7. They will sleep when they are tired and will eat/drink at all hours. So don't be surprised to hear them partying at 2am:)

You don't mention the breeds, but if they are large fowl or bantams they will not over eat.

IF the chicks are meat birds then after a few weeks you would want to start restricting feed to control growth, but water should always be available.

Also something to consider with your next batch of chicks is using a Mama Heating Pad. This is safer, chicks love it, they also have a natural sleep/wake cycle.

I agree that you should give them plenty of space to get out of the heat. Mine are 4th babies and I'm already beginning to wean them from the light. They don't need it during the heat of the day so I turn it off. They do however still have a "feather duster" (homemade with molted chicken and duck feathers, no need to not be creative) that they can cuddle under if they do need some warmth. Then its back on in the evening. I would suggest the MHP system over the light any day. It mimics the natural instinct of being under a momma hen. (Which is why I have the feather duster). As long as weather permitting, set them up a pen outside on the ground as soon as you can and give them a little more time each day in the grass. This helps build their immune system. Free choice of electrolytes and clean water should be offered 24/7 and no, they will not eat themselves to death.

I agree that you should give them plenty of space to get out of the heat. Mine are 4th babies and I'm already beginning to wean them from the light. They don't need it during the heat of the day so I turn it off. They do however still have a "feather duster" (homemade with molted chicken and duck feathers, no need to not be creative) that they can cuddle under if they do need some warmth. Then its back on in the evening. I would suggest the MHP system over the light any day. It mimics the natural instinct of being under a momma hen. (Which is why I have the feather duster). As long as weather permitting, set them up a pen outside on the ground as soon as you can and give them a little more time each day in the grass. This helps build their immune system. Free choice of electrolytes and clean water should be offered 24/7 and no, they will not eat themselves to death.
I love that idea of a feather duster. I'd wondered if they come out of an incubator whether they ever know of or intuitively look for a mother hen. Thanks for the suggestions!

Chickens/chicks have great natural instincts to what should come naturally. I don't feed mine in those typical feeders. They get a dish with one or two of those shiny stones. The stone attracts them to peck the feed and not each other. The dish encourages them to "make a mess" that they peck out of the shavings. This is a natural "scratching to forage" maneuver for them of course. We make our own shavings from pine that we cut down ourselves and let dry. Doing it with a chainsaw the length of the tree or should I say with the grain creates softer curly pieces that have the look and almost feel of grass. (Minus the green). It also cuts cost and we are sourcing naturally and it's another step of self sufficiency. Not for everyone of course. And of course it's always best if you have a broody to raise them. The momma protects and they integrate more smoothly into a flock that way. Again, not for everyone. We don't have a broody at the moment so we are incubating too. The more natural you keep things the better off the chicks and chickens are. (This is my opinion, not necessarily shared by all).

Congrats on the babies and good luck!!! And of course :welcome

Remember, we all LOVE pics! Especially cute little fuzzy butt pics!

I agree with everyone. I'm a first time mom (to chicks). I'm using a red light too, the first 2 weeks I kept it on 24/7 peeked at them and they slept fine. The weather got warmer over 80s during the day so I started turning it off and let them outside for 2 hours in a rabbit cage at 2 weeks. They loved it. I did find my little silkies like to fall asleep in their food so I had to monitor them closer and remove the food.

Back
Top Bottom