Will these gray chicks keep their color? BA roo Partridge Rock hens.

la dee da

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Missouri
Hey everyone! I have a Black Australorp rooster, Black Australorp hens, and Partridge Rock hens. I let a couple hens hatch some eggs, and to my utter surprise, three grey and yellow chicks hatched! They’re absolutely lovely, and I’m in LOVE with them.

Does anyone know if they’ll keep the gray as they grow?

The chicks are 5 days old in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_5418.jpeg
    IMG_5418.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 24
Those chicks look to be lavender. The weird thing is I'm not aware of that gene being in Australorps. I'm not saying you're wrong on the breed, but is there any chance the parents could be black split lavender Orpingtons?

On the plus side, I'm going to say that they will certainly keep that light color. Lavender is such a pretty color, those are going to some beautiful birds!

Those chicks look to be lavender. The weird thing is I'm not aware of that gene being in Australorps. I'm not saying you're wrong on the breed, but is there any chance the parents could be black split lavender Orpingtons?

On the plus side, I'm going to say that they will certainly keep that light color. Lavender is such a pretty color, those are going to some beautiful birds!
I bought them from Sandhill, so I'm quite certain they're at least Australorps. They also look different from the (admittedly hatchery) Buff Orpingtons I had last year. That said, I can't be sure. It's exciting to think that they should keep the color!

I wanted to keep back an Australorp rooster to replace the jerk I have now, but I'm not so sure anymore. Could I stand having a black rooster over a lavender one if one of these chicks is a roo :idunno?

I suppose chickens are like cats: the moment you think they're predictable, they throw you a curveball :lol:.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Partridge Rocks are hiding something in their genes? Or if they’re really Partridge Rocks? Something must be off because I thought lavender was recessive?

Do you have any other hens or roosters who could be the parents?
The girls (and boys before they were processed) look like all the partridge rock photos I see. There are only australorp and partridge rocks in my flock (assuming they're true to breed), and only one rooster, the australorp. I have six australorp girls and four partridge rock girls, plus the rooster.

My coop isn't big enough for many more, so I was only going to keep back one or two hens and a rooster to replace the jerk. These chicks are the first generation from this flock, so I haven't done anything that could make a hidden gene express itself other than let two broodies hatch eggs so I could get a replacement rooster.

I may be able to get pictures of the flock. They're free range, but I've trained them to a call that makes them come running.

Lavender is recessive, so I can't imagine partridge rocks would throw that color. I was wondering if maybe your australorp was a very dark blue. I don't see blue australorps on Sandhills website, but that doesn't mean they aren't working on them. Or possibly they're working on lavender australorps and your rooster and at least one of your hens is split to lavender.

However these genes got into your flock, the grey chicks are definitely some kind of dilute and should feather out with grey in their feathers as adults.

Back
Top Bottom