Sponsored Post Win an Ecoglow 20 Chick Brooder from Brinsea with your best tip for winter!

I too have a open air dog pen connected to two small coops. Chickens love the open pen and have recently moved outside in it for their night time sleep. It has a roost so they are happy. We have a large tarp over the top and upper sides with the bottom half of the walls open. We recently had 28 degrees overnight so I had to add some panels to the bottom half of the pen along with a couple panels made from clear plastic so they could see out. I plan to make the bottom panels movable so I can roll them up out of the way when the nights are 50 or above. They don't like being so warm. I don't plan to use lights to lengthen their laying time. (I am going to let Mother Nature control the egg production during the short days of winter.) I will check their water, change it out if it freezes. I added oatmeal, sunflower seeds to their diet during the several days of really cold weather. They were fine. They seems to enjoy being cooler for a while. Here in SC our winter time can be kind of unpredictable, so have to be prepared for quick weather changes (called cold fronts here).

Okay,well If your run is attached to your coop then in your run cover in this clear tarp stuff that way you can get in your run and your chickens and you will be warm.Make sure to put lots of straw in there also.Your chickens will also be warm and they can see out of it.PM me if you need to ask any questions about that :)

Back
Top Bottom