Wing Drop Head Down

triciayoung

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Oct 15, 2022
Mountville, SC
My Coop
My Coop
My EE’s are 4 1/2 weeks old. One of them, has a wing drop (only one), and and is not extending her next up. When she looks at me, or looks up, she uses her body to look up instead of elongating her neck normally. I think she has a sprained wing. The only vet I have available within 3-hours is on vacation. She is eating and drinking and her poop is normal. She flaps her wings, but cannot get up on the side of the brooder like the other 3 EE’s. Meaning, she can’t fly like they are beginning to do. She gets up on the little chick roosting bars, you know the one that sits on the floor. I have directions to wrap the wing, but cannot find any info about whether a sprained wing could make her neck act in this manner and don’t want to do the wrong thing. Thank you.

Attachments

• 2D0A5AF5-2AB4-426B-BA8D-4E76B5AEEB6A.jpeg
    2D0A5AF5-2AB4-426B-BA8D-4E76B5AEEB6A.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 33
  • 0F4DBDF4-F4C2-4908-8A26-054FC5EF9419.jpeg
    0F4DBDF4-F4C2-4908-8A26-054FC5EF9419.jpeg
    765.1 KB · Views: 4
I would try Poultry Nutri-drench for starters. And add a little sugar to her water. Sometimes when it appears a chicken is injured, it's vitamin deficiency. B-complex heals weak or damaged nerve connections. You would give that as a people vitamin as Nutri-drench doesn't have high enough dose of the B vitamins to correct deficiency.

I would try Poultry Nutri-drench for starters. And add a little sugar to her water. Sometimes when it appears a chicken is injured, it's vitamin deficiency. B-complex heals weak or damaged nerve connections. You would give that as a people vitamin as Nutri-drench doesn't have high enough dose of the B vitamins to correct deficiency.
Thank you.

I have done everything, CORID, nutri-drench, and poultry cell. I even put her symptoms into poultrydvm.com and looked up every possibility. I am now convinced it is an injury but not a break. Our only possible vet option does not return until Friday.

She is eating and drinking just fine and her poop is fine.

So, we decided to wrap her wing. When we did, she kept falling over, when she otherwise did not. Therefore, we decided to take the wrap off.

My question is; with a sprained wing, what happens if you do nothing? I searched on google for this answer and could not find anything. Thank you.

If she is able to flap her wings, it's not an injury. In such a young chick, these mobility issues are more often from vitamin deficiencies. Continue the B-complex for a few more weeks, and add daily vitamin E to this therapy. Give with a bare sliver of selenium or with egg to help absorption.

You need to be patient.

If she is able to flap her wings, it's not an injury. In such a young chick, these mobility issues are more often from vitamin deficiencies. Continue the B-complex for a few more weeks, and add daily vitamin E to this therapy. Give with a bare sliver of selenium or with egg to help absorption.

You need to be patient.
Patient I can be as long as I know my waiting isn’t causing harm, only later to find out I should have done something. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom