Which chicken breed do you think will be right for me?

• Wyandottes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cochins

• Australorps

• Americanas

• Mottled Java

• Total voters
Hi there! I have had some of these birds on your list! I haven't ever butchered mine, so I can't say for meat, but I have heard that most dual purpose breeds would be well suited for eggs and meat (barred rock, Wyandotte, Australorp). I love my barred rock ladies, good layers and friendly. The Wyandotte I had at one point was a beautiful bird, but she was pretty aggressive with the other birds (might have just been her though). My brahma hen is huge, but not a good layer and lays tiny eggs. My cochin was never a great layer either, but a friendly bird. I loved my Australorp when I had her too! Great layer and very sweet. I have an amerucana hen now who hasn't started laying yet, but she is very flighty and pretty small too. Wouldn't recommend if you are looking for a friendly dual purpose bird! I can't speak for the other breeds, I haven't owned them. I think mixed flocks are really fun, lots of colors, shapes and personalities. I like the egg color variations you get too!

Cochins are forever the best chickens. But they don't lay terribly well.

However I think they make up for it with their adorable personalities and big furry feet. They are one of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom