Winter Gardens/ Greenhouse!

This might be a little helpful too.

This is dirt that is too wet. as you can see my hands are all messy from it being to wet.
1713925437167.png

This is dirt that got just the right amount of water.
It should not make a mess all over your hands. It should be a bit like moist crumbs or mash.
1713925342953.png

you have too many in one pot at once so pick which one looks the best/healthy and pull out the others.
At that size, the best one is *probably* the seedling with the sturdiest looking stem. Instead of pulling the others out, just snip the rejects off with a pair of scissors at dirt level. That way, you don't disturb the roots.

When I start plants, I use cottage cheese/large yogurt containers as the pots. Yes, it takes a lot more soil, but there's plenty of room for the plants for the 8ish weeks they're going to be in the pot.

IMG_3225.JPG

I also "turn the container over." I cut the bottom off, use the lidded side as the bottom. When it's time to plant, peel the lid off, slide the container up and over the plant, and there is very little root disturbance.
IMG_E3227.JPG

At that size, the best one is *probably* the seedling with the sturdiest looking stem. Instead of pulling the others out, just snip the rejects off with a pair of scissors at dirt level. That way, you don't disturb the roots.
Great advice tHank you!
When I start plants, I use cottage cheese/large yogurt containers as the pots. Yes, it takes a lot more soil, but there's plenty of room for the plants for the 8ish weeks they're going to be in the pot.

View attachment 3810192
I also "turn the container over." I cut the bottom off, use the lidded side as the bottom. When it's time to plant, peel the lid off, slide the container up and over the plant, and there is very little root disturbance.
View attachment 3810193
now that is creative! I’ll be saving some for next year.

I have friends save containers for me. No way I could eat 70 containers of cottage cheese or yogurt! :gig I've gotten about 3 years out of them, before they get brittle and start breaking.

On transplant day, I dig the hole, then carefully take off the lid. Set the pot/plant into the hole, and carefully slide the pot up over the plant. The taper of the container makes it easy to clear the dirt and slide the pot off.

Back
Top Bottom