Winter management poll

Quote:
So far so good...as my beloved grandfather says, when he raised chickens many years ago they would roost in trees all winter so if mine can't make it with hay underfoot and roof overhead we have a problem! If it does get drastically cold, I will add a heat lamp.

40 posts so far is great! I'd love to reach a hundred, though...

Last edited:
Heat: no

Insulated coop: no

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: 5 sq ft

Coop size: 21'x10' run/coop

Litter method: sand floor...no litter

#of chickens in coop: 22

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Texas zone 7b

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: this is 1st Winter

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: We chose to build a coop/run closed on two sides and wire on two sides since we do not have snow or ice very often. This last week we put plastic up over the wire to stop the wind which is a problem here. Will have to watch closely that they do not get too hot. So far they are liking it.

Heat: No

Insulation: No

Ventilation: 1' x 8' plus 4" gap at roof rafters all around.

Coop size: 8'x8' 3/4" plywood walls/floors with tin roof.

Litter method: Shavings, deep litter

# of chickens: 12

First winter with my chickens.

First winter with chickens but here's what I PLAN on doing:

If yes on heat, what method do you use (If we panick in a severe cold snap we have an oil filled heater, or I'm bringing 'em inside, god bless my hubby)
wink.png

Insulated coop: no
Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: The coop is part of a 12x16 shed. 2 small vents in the roof peaks, two windows to open if needed.
Coop size: Shed 12X16, actual coop part 12X6
Litter method: Deep litter
#of chickens in coop: 5 pullets, adding 7 ~8 week old chicks now...
Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Bristol, CT Zone 6, but on top of a big hill;
How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: 0. This is the first
(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: So far so good. 31* last night and every one is doing great today.

Heat: Yes, if the outside temperature drops below 10 degrees F

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?: I boil water, put it in a gallon container and bury it in the pine shavings. It's still liquid in the morning at -4 degrees.

Insulated coop: yes

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: Approximately 2 square feet altogether

Coop size: 4' x 6' raised off the ground

Litter method: Pine shavings

#of chickens in coop: Six

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Zone 6, Western Colorado

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: One, but last year was so bad that it felt like a hundred

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: They were fine, minimal loss of combs to frostbite but I Vaselined and/or Bag Balmed the combs and wattles weekly. I should also mention that I fed them extra corn during the winter, which is something I don't supplement their scratch with during warm months and they got extra protein in the form of meat and game.

Mary

Heat: No

Insulated coop: No

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: A LOT. It's a converted dog kennel - 2 walls, one side of chain link fence covered by 8mil clear plastic (for wind), one side (where door is) completely open. The girls roost up in the rafters.

Coop size: 12' L x 6' W x 8' H

Litter method: 3-6" pine shavings over concrete

#of chickens in coop: 8, all cold hardy breeds

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Moscow, ID

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: First, but this is how previous homeowners did it for several years.

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods:
Looking good so far. Hubby installed a remote, wireless thermometer in coop at rafter height, and it was down to 23 F last night. We still got eggs this morning. Tonight's forecast is for single digits, tomorrow night below 0, with a daytime high of only 7. Will report back if we lose anyone.

Insulated coop: 3 yes / 6 no ; Buildings

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: all have good to great, square ft ?

Coop size: verious

Litter method: bare ground/straw/ shavings or concrete/shavings

#of chickens in coop: depends 150+

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Neenah, Wi growing zone 5

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: 7

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods:
the only time I have ever had a problem in when the ventalion failed in one building, also the only heat added is the building that houses the incubator, so any bird that is in need of help/heat is placed in the ' chick shed ' heated water is used in any coop that has a tendicy to freeze.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom