winter watering

Fred's Hens :

Which is why I like setting a small pail into the heated bowl, rather than trying to constantly fill and clean the dog bowl itself. That isn't fun in zero weather. By having a few pails, I head out to the coop with a full pail and just swap out the old one. I bring the old pail into the house to clean and I always have a pail to fill and take out on my next trip to the coop.

Someone here said they put sand in the dog bowl first. Then the waterer on top of the sand. If I was using a dog bowl that's probably what I would do.​

Last edited:
Ten Point - that heated water bucket - does it have a thermostate to keep the water from getting too hot? - it costs approx. 85 bucks - pretty expensive if it doesn't - what you think -

Quote:
speaking of pecking foam, my girls managed to get at some foam insulation board. I am not sure how much they actually ate, but there was a hole pecked clean through the board. What do I do now? Will it pass through? Do I need to give them some sort of chicken laxative? Please, please some advice!

Speaking of pecking foam, my girls managed to get at some foam insulation board. I am not sure how much they actually ate, but there was a hole pecked clean through the board. What do I do now? Will it pass through? Do I need to give them some sort of chicken laxative? Please, please some advice!
sickbyc.gif

This might sound ridiculous but is there any chance of the hens drowning in an open bucket of water in the coop? My husband is suggesting a cinderblock with a lightbulb in it, covered with sheet metal to prevent the hay from igniting. The heated water bowl sounds safer to me.

(As an aside - when I first started talking about chickens my husband's attitude was that it was ok with him as long as he didn't have anything to do with them. Now he's on this site all of the time, he helped design the new coop, he was texting me pictures of chickens from a fair he took the kids to, and he urged me to get some silkies. No denying the chicken love now.)

Back
Top Bottom