Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Any hen can go broody. it is not likely in some breeds. I have leghorns that go broody. One is on a nest now., she did not get the message she is just to lay eggs
hu.gif
She is also 5 years old and hitting the end of her laying cycle. If she keeps being a good broody, she has a stay.

Quote: Really? I had never heard that, but I don't know that much about chickens. I have had 2 broody red sex links and 2 broody black sex links. This is the second that hatched eggs. I also have had a barred rock and a white chantecler go broody. I heard that chanteclers don't do that, so maybe I have strange chickens!
smile.png

Good morning everyone! Guess what? Dh wakes me up and tells me to come downstairs. I keep asking what's wrong, and he keeps looking thru the windows and the fog. Pretty soon I see one of our sex links with 6 tiny fluff balls following behind.
jumpy.gif
. I had no idea. I thought she had just gone missing. So....now what? She is in our lawn. I saw three of the other hens near her, but most troubling to me is our dog. Even though I love that she is out there with them in the grass I think I should move her to the brooder. What do you all think? And how do I move her?
Question :frow . I didn't think that sex-links would go broody??????
Really? I had never heard that, but I don't know that much about chickens. I have had 2 broody red sex links and 2 broody black sex links. This is the second that hatched eggs. I also have had a barred rock and a white chantecler go broody. I heard that chanteclers don't do that, so maybe I have strange chickens!
smile.png
WHAT ARE YOU FEEDING??? :lau

I just sold 2 bird cages .. I have lots more .. many styles and sizes..

I transferred the 2 goslings and their adopted sister pea chick out to the chicken coop brooder.. I gave them a large glob of fresh cut grass.. to lay in or eat, whatever they want .. I also put a glob in with the other young birds.. those Dels are the youngest, but they are natural leaders.. and I think about 5 of the 11 are roos..
then I transferred 12 keets out of the hatcher into the now vacant TV.. they are sure a bunch of cry babies,, it is not too cold or hot,, and they have water and feed.. WTH?? these will all be going to Marlene this week. I know she is not too thrilled with more babies, as she is not selling any..and she does not want to raise about 30 of them to adulthood over the winter..
neither do I, but it just might happen to both of us..

Dick is supposedly coming tomorrow to test the compression on Ollie.. if he doesn't forget..

OK that's all for now.. CRS as usual..

Good news and not as good news.
First the good news. Got our first egg from our pullets today. :thumbsup

Took my little Angel puppy to the vet today. Poor baby. She's so uncomfortable tonight. An undetected infected anal gland literally blew a hole in her bum. She had to be knocked out to clean up the mess. Now it's a week of pain meds, a month of antibiotics, a bum wash 3x a day, a trip to the vet once a week to empty the gland, etc. (Ouch ) and of course trying to get her to wear the cone of shame.

My neighbor and I are driving south to Jim's farm tomorrow to meet Terri and get four of her girls so poor hubby will have to puppy sit.

Good news and not as good news.
First the good news. Got our first egg from our pullets today.
thumbsup.gif

Took my little Angel puppy to the vet today. Poor baby. She's so uncomfortable tonight. An undetected infected anal gland literally blew a hole in her bum. She had to be knocked out to clean up the mess. Now it's a week of pain meds, a month of antibiotics, a bum wash 3x a day, a trip to the vet once a week to empty the gland, etc. (Ouch ) and of course trying to get her to wear the cone of shame.

My neighbor and I are driving south to Jim's farm tomorrow to meet Terri and get four of her girls so poor hubby will have to puppy sit.
aww..poor puppy..
congrats on the egg

Last edited:
Vicki, you should have the vet show you how to express the anal gland.... it is REALLY easy..... and it would save you some $ and trips in...

Terri, what time do you think you will be finished? We can always meet up someplace or you could stop by. It would be great to see you and you could check out my postage stamp yard.....

Cuties I take it that is a bee sting? OUCH!

My daughter took it upon herself to make her birthday cake....... curse you pinterest!!!! ;)

Each change in the frosting represents a change in the cake color as well...... so you get that ombre effect throughout the entire cake. I hope all that food coloring does not make us sick!!!!

Alright miss grumpy pants. We are still waiting for pics of these amazing chicks you have purchased.....
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom