Wondering About Silkie/Frizzle combos

Bubba

Songster
12 Years
Jun 18, 2007
If you bred a silkie x frizzle then back crossed it with another silkie till it you got some offspring with double silkie genes and a single frizzle gene would it express as a silkie frizzle? Do the genes work against each other or symbiotically? Just wondering if anyone has any experiance with that. I know it would take several generations of crossbreeding and breeding to get the right combos, just wondering if it can be done is all.

What if I tossed a polish in there to? Hmm

I'm also thinking about holding down my jersey giants and letting a bantam silkie roo mate with her. I have 4 hens and with enough back crossing and line breeding I think I could get a giant silkie! With enough generations I think I could breed the large jersey genes into a silkie body type. My next goal would be to seperate the blue/black skin from the silkie feathers, if that can be done.

Yes I understand that it would take at least 2 generations for the silkie genes to show themselves again.

Bubba

Please feel free to argue about genetics, just dont kill each other ok!

i'm not sure if this thread is still alive. But i just found it while searching on frizzles. i hatched three eggs this summer that were listed as a cross of frizzle silkie, polish, japanese and mille fleur. Got one frizzled silkie looking girl with mille fleur type coloring. Another girl is smooth with a japanese look and mille fleur coloring, and a teeny top knot. Then my boy is darker coloring but similar to the japanese body type with a beard and top knot. Very interesting chicks. i can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures Pictures Pictures I need Pictures!

Thanks Airheart Im just happy to know you can cross them succesfully.

Bubba

So glad you asked, i love sharing pics! First, here is Flotsen, the one that exhibits the frizzle.
flotsen1.jpg

. . . and another next to Carmen her sister.
flotsen2.jpg

Here is Flotsen when she was a baby.
chickfriz-1.jpg

Here are a couple shots of Carmen. She isn't frizzled, but has pretty lavender earlobes and a bit of a top knot.
carmen1.jpg

Here she is next to Benicio, her brother. They are so pretty when they do their "tail up, wings down" stance.
pair2-1.jpg

. . . and here are a couple shots of Benicio.
benicio3.jpg

benicio2.jpg

benicio4.jpg

I don't think so. A "sizzle" is supposed to meet the silkie standard but have kind of a "windblown" look. Flotsen looks like she's sporting regular feathers that are frizzled. They need to have the silkie feathers and have crests and 5 toes and all. But it's not like they are recognized or anything-so you can call her whatever you like LOL

Those are some nice looking birds Airheart! I love the frizzle crosses you have. Carmen is also a very beautiful looking bird.

Thanks Ksacres I will look more into sizzles, when I first read that I only thought of my grill fired up
lol.png

woot.gif
Bubba
woot.gif

PS Guess that purple/blue ear color is a dominate one from the silkie line huh

They are pretty, huh? i'm trying to find a new home for Benicio, as we unfortunately can not have roosters where i live. i would love to get him into a home that will breed him and create some interesting varieties. He is the gentlest little guy with people, but put another rooster in front of him and he turns into a beta fighting fish.

i'm just glad i got a frizzled out of that batch of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom