Wondering how you have set up the inside of smaller coops

Walkbarefoot

Chirping
Apr 19, 2018
Niwot, Colorado
Please share the inside of your smaller coops. I have a 5x6 coop that we built this spring. I am not 100% happy with the way the plans have the roosts set up. I am wondering how others have set up the inside of their smaller coops. Where are your roosts? Food and water? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1860.jpg
    IMG_1860.jpg
    929.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7055.jpg
    IMG_7055.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 42
I have a makeshift coop about that size, it is directly one the ground and i have water close to the gate, food hanging, and a bowl of oyster shell near the water. I have a perch in the far back corner, and a nesting box underneath but away from that

I am mostly impressed that you tiled your floor. I assumed that was a fake tile linoleum sheet.

As for space management, a lot of folks do not keep food or water in the coop since chickens don't eat or drink at night, and they are usually only in the coop at night. Obviously if yours spend a lot of time "cooped" up, then they need food and water. But based on that one photo, it sure looks like you have a secure run where the food and water could live.

I am mostly impressed that you tiled your floor. I assumed that was a fake tile linoleum sheet.

As for space management, a lot of folks do not keep food or water in the coop since chickens don't eat or drink at night, and they are usually only in the coop at night. Obviously if yours spend a lot of time "cooped" up, then they need food and water. But based on that one photo, it sure looks like you have a secure run where the food and water could live.

I hope to only have them “cooped up” during our cold winter days. The winters here on the front range in Colorado have been quite mild the past few years...

I have been doing everything I can to ensure that their run is secure. Making myself a little crazy trying to make it as tough as possible!!

Thanks for responding!

My boyfriend had always wanted to try to tile... we thought this would be the prefect opportunity to give it a go! Thanks for noticing! He is quite proud of it!

My profile pic has the inside of the coop. here is the outside.. The roosting bars are the long way with trap doors for cleaning. Linoleum floor and 2 sheets of linoleum which are removable for poop trays. No food or water inside.. They eat outdoors and always have the door to the run open. although I close the Run door to the yard at night. . 3 nesting
Boxes are inside the short side with the door to access for collecting.

coop.jpg

I love that kind of tile!
Will be interesting to see how it holds up.

And this :gig
View attachment 1414300

How many birds do you plan on keeping?

Hahahaha!!!! That is the cleanest bird ever!!! Not many eggs, but clean and doesn't eat much! It was a placeholder for me until the real birds arrived! Thanks for catching it!

I plan on 10. 4 silkies, 2 Cochin bantams, 1 welsummer, 1 Ameraucana, 1 Easter Egger and 1 Barred Rock. I think one of the sillies USA rooster, which would give me 9.

Back
Top Bottom