Wood stoves

We soley heat our house with wood. Our stove is a very old insert. We got it for free because it wounldn't fit into the persons fireplace. Well it fit mine perfect. I also offer my service to anyone who loses a tree. We (all seven of us) will go cut and remove the tree for free. This way it helps both parties out. We get free wood and their eye sore is remove at no cost to them. My children love working together as a family which brings us closer together. The only problem with having wood for heat is that when the power goes out, lots of friends and family end up at my house.

We have a wood stove as well.....I LOVE IT! COME on WINTER! LOL....we saved for 2 years....to get a brick chimney put on the house...and we installed a wood stove. Its an older KING. Definately would not win any beauty contest...big, brown metal box looking thing...but inside there is a cast iron "oven" It has a blower fan with a thermostat sorta thingy. I know, Im not technical. But...it works. We have it in our family room, in the basement...when we start it up, the heat rises pretty darned well to the upper level, where the bedrooms are. We will still have the propane furnace on the ready....just cost me $675 to fill....for those really cold nights to make sure we keep the bedrooms at least 68 degrees. We have parakeets we have to keep warm. I would post a pic, but this thing is U G L Y !! LOL

We have used a woodburning stove in our Living room for 25 years...our furnace never kicks on in the dead of winter during the day and only at night if the temps dip down into the teens or below at night....

This is our second one in all those years....sorry for the no pic...hubby would crack up if I told him this chicken site wants woodstove pics now...LOL..He thinks its bad enough taking chicken pics!!...

Tuff

Last edited:
Hey chelly
We put one in ourselves....not too hard. They come with pretty good directions. The hardest thing and most important is to make sure you have enough clearance between the chimney and your ceiling and attic. We wont have another house without one....love it. Can't wait for it to get cold. We have about 5 cords of wood.....come on cold
Tink

I was JUST telling my husband earlier I really want one in our living room.
Can you put the "exit" or chimney thingie in a side wall and not straight up out the roof?

Gosh I would absolutly LOVE one!

I have had a wood stove before when I lived in Ohio but not since I moved to Tennessee. We bought a house this summer and it has a wood furnace in the basement. An Englander 24G. This stove has a vent for the smoke and it has a second vent which ties into house ventilation. I will use mostly wood, but we also have propane and electric. So if the temp in the stove gets too low at night the furnace will kick on. I love the heat from a wood stove.

Last edited:
MissPrissy- I'm going to send you my pressure canner, it's instructions are for use on a wood stove.
wink.png

I'm really impressed that you cook on your stove though. Very cool.

We've heated our old farmhouse with a wood stove for 30+ years. I get tired of the ashes and dust, but there's nothing like the heat from it when it's cold outside. Our furnace only runs at night if the temps get in the single digits.

At the ranch, my family always had a summer kitchen in a shed behind the house. There was an old wood burning Ruby kitchen stove back there. They cooked out there to keep the heat out of the house.

I hadn't been back to the ranch house in about ten years, but last year my brother and his kids went back there on bicycles. The road had washed out. Well it seems someone had drove back there on six or seven miles of almost non-existant roads, and stole the cook stove. There must be a real demand for them.

For what it is worth, you can still buy new ones just like that in Mexico.

Rufus

Quote:
Now that would be a challenge! Send away! LOL

Quote:
My kitchen wood stove has a stove pipe that goes up near the ceiling it the makes a 90 degree elbow curve and goes out through the wall to the exterior of the house then another exterior chimney pipe carries it up above the roof line.

It is dark right now but later I can try to make some photos of the way that one exits the smoke.

Back
Top Bottom