Wooly Nightshade

cluck-cluck

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2012
San Fernando Valley, California (LA)
I wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask this question but kinda thought poison fits in this section??

Anyway, we're new to chickens and I'm working on a coop for our baby leghorns. I decided to put the coop in a spot where this hideous weed tree has been irritating me for years. I started cutting it down, and it has this dust that falls on ya, and makes your skin itch, your throat clog and your respiratory system shut down! It smells like kerosene too! I spent many days on the internet trying to figure out what the heck it is when I finally ID'd it as wooly nightshade. There are some birds that eat the berries, and spread the seeds.

Anyway, here is my question. I have decomposed nightshade leaves and wood dust/shavings and whatever that dust is that sheds off the tree when moved all over the ground that I wanted my birds to be able to enjoy
hmm.png
We raked out what we could but there is so much fine stuff left.... I want to know if it is dangerous for our hens. Or will they be ok there? Would it be enough to turn over the soil to bury it?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Bumping again in hopes someone has knowledge of this icky plant/tree? or other nightshades? All I have found is that nightshades tend to leave behind infestations of bugs and diseases that eat them, so replanting potatoes and tomatoes eggplant, etc... in the same area year after year will eventually kill off your plants. So it's not a good idea, and you need to wait a few years between crops by rotating them out.

Other than that, I can't find anything about decaying leaves and such. What I want to know is if the plant looses it's poisons as it decays.... as I have lots of tiny bits of leaf litter.

Thanks for any help??!!!

Back
Top Bottom