Worms and Lice - How to treat both?

Deerling

Songster
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
King County, WA
We noticed two of our chickens have a bit of lice eggs at the base of their feathers. Most of our chickens aren't showing signs, a few have dirty buns, but we bought pour on Ivomec to treat them all, as well as Manna Pro Poultry Protector to clean the coop. We were planning to do it tonight, but earlier today my daughter noticed really tiny white/clear worms in a fresh poop. Sigh. We do have Valbazen on hand, so we could treat them with that. Anyhow, I'm wondering what the best course of action could be. Timing of doses, etc.

Thanks so much!

We noticed two of our chickens have a bit of lice eggs at the base of their feathers. Most of our chickens aren't showing signs, a few have dirty buns, but we bought pour on Ivomec to treat them all, as well as Manna Pro Poultry Protector to clean the coop. We were planning to do it tonight, but earlier today my daughter noticed really tiny white/clear worms in a fresh poop. Sigh. We do have Valbazen on hand, so we could treat them with that. Anyhow, I'm wondering what the best course of action could be. Timing of doses, etc.

Thanks so much!

Ivermectin pour on wont treat lice nor their eggs. Poultry lice do not bite and suck blood like cattle lice. It wont treat some types of mites neither due to resistance. Alot of people use coconut oil to remove lice eggs from feather shafts. Sevin dust will kill feather lice on contact. You can trim back fluff and feathers on their rear ends with scissors, but not too much. This will give them a clear shot to the ground, no more poopy butt.
Dose each bird 1/2cc valbazen orally undiluted, repeat again in 10 days.

The enzyme activity of Poultry Protector is worthless. Return it and get your money back. If you have a louse/mite infestation, you have to use what is effective on birds and treatment of coop. You could dust the birds with Sevin like dawg mentioned, but you must remove old shavings/bedding material from the coop, including nests. Use something effective labeled for use on poultry themselves and premises like Ravap EC, Permectrin II / Atroban EC. Spray down ceiling, walls, all sides of roosts, floors, outside, and inside of nest boxes. Follow label safety instructions, and let product dry before laying new shavings down and allowing birds back in the coop area. It is a good idea to do a coop cleaning and treatment at least 3 times a year ( beginning Spring, end Summer/early fall, and mid Winter). I do this and never see mites or lice on my birds.

Thanks for the replies! Oh man, I really didn't do my research well, did I?

We have too many girls for me to treat with coconut oil or vaseline, so that isn't really an option. We used Sevin dust once before, but have since read that it can be really harmful? Any truth to that?

We also have a mother and four chicks, they live in a separate area, but how should we treat them (if at all?)

We do keep our coop clean, although it gets pretty damp. Unfortunately we live in a wooded area that is damp and full of wild birds. We have had a recurring problem with lice and worms since we moved here.

Yes, thanks! I have not found any signs on the chicks (I've checked them) but they did have access to the coop for a while, so I would think they'd been exposed. The only bird I can find eggs on is our silkie, who has some... Issues. She's not very bright. But since they're on her it seems prudent to treat everyone and the coop. I'm just confused as to the best route to take at the moment.

The article about mites and lice in the front page right now says that Sevin dust has been banned for use on chickens, but there are other products available. Doesn't mention what, thiugh :/

We've used sevin dust since the 60's in our vegetable gardens, dogs, and chickens. Still here typing. Wear a mask and chicken clothes/shoes when dusting birds.

Back
Top Bottom