Worms! Help!

smoore7489

Songster
6 Years
Mar 25, 2017
I have a chicken who is in failing health. She is 16 weeks old and not laying yet. I couldn't figure out what was wrong but I seperated her in case and noticed she is loosing weight. Rapidly. Now, I need a worker. I'm pretty sure it's tapeworm, bc I saw the little segments in her poo. I understand she might not make it, and thats fine, but I need to dose my flock asap so they dont end up like her. What do you all use? Will the Ivermectin Equine paste work?
Please help. I hate that there are no wormers for chickens out there... Except the $200 a bottle wormer that noone can afford :duc:mad:

Anyways please PLEASE help me.

Thanks in advance!

Pumpkins seeds are a fantastic natural dewormer, that aren't hard on your chickens or their health. You will have many people disagree with this probably, and that's fine, but I have seen fantastic results with it myself. Chemical wormers can be quite harsh on chickens, and often times the worms become resistant to those chemicals anyways. But still, there are people that swear by them too.

@Arya28
Can you share with us more details about the "fantastic results" you have seen from using pumpkin seeds and with which worms they were effective. If you are going to make claims about pumpkin seeds and recommend them to someone whose flock are potentially in jeopardy due to a worm infestation then it would be helpful to give us some indication of why you believe it is effective, especially when you know what you are suggesting is contentious. I haven't wormed my chickens in 4 years so I'm not one of those members who are keen to advocate routine use of chemical wormers but I do believe they have a place and an outbreak of tapeworms would be one of the occasions to use them.

@smoore7489
I don't believe Ivermectin is effective against tapeworm. It would help to know where in the world you are (ie USA, Canada, Australia etc), so that products available in your area can be suggested. I'm curious to know what the $200 stuff is?
@dawg53
Can you help on wormer and dosage please for tapeworms?

In order for pumpkin seeds to be effective, they must be ground up, then a chicken would have to eat a truck load of them in order to be effective.
Equimax equine paste will kill tapeworms. A pea size amount given orally to each chicken is the way to go. You can put it on a piece of bread and give a piece to each chicken. Be careful that the others dont steal the treated piece of bread. Repeat dosing in 10 days.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/the-truth-about-chickens-pumpkin-seeds/

Last edited:
@Arya28
Can you share with us more details about the "fantastic results" you have seen from using pumpkin seeds and with which worms they were effective. If you are going to make claims about pumpkin seeds and recommend them to someone whose flock are potentially in jeopardy due to a worm infestation then it would be helpful to give us some indication of why you believe it is effective, especially when you know what you are suggesting is contentious. I haven't wormed my chickens in 4 years so I'm not one of those members who are keen to advocate routine use of chemical wormers but I do believe they have a place and an outbreak of tapeworms would be one of the occasions to use them.

@smoore7489
I don't believe Ivermectin is effective against tapeworm. It would help to know where in the world you are (ie USA, Canada, Australia etc), so that products available in your area can be suggested. I'm curious to know what the $200 stuff is?
@dawg53
Can you help on wormer and dosage please for tapeworms?
Sorry, I'm in the USA. And the $200.stuff is called aquasol I believe. It's the only wormer for chickens otc

Prazinquantel would probably work. Here's a link with the dosage for Droncit . http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/praziquantel . The products containing febendazole are succesful in killing some kinds of tapeworms so the goat suspension or the horse paste would be worth a shot if you couldn't get your hands on droncit. Wishing you the best of luck .
In order for pumpkin seeds to be effective, they must be ground up, then a chicken would have to eat a truck load of them in order to be effective.
Equimax equine paste will kill tapeworms. A pea size amount given orally to each chicken is the way to go. You can put it on a piece of bread and give a piece to each chicken. Be careful that the others dont steal the treated piece of bread. Repeat dosing in 10 days.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/the-truth-about-chickens-pumpkin-seeds/
Thank you all for your suggestions! Going out today to get some of these!
I have some.chickens who lay eggs. Would I need to have a egg withdrawal with these medications suggestioned?

Sorry, I'm in the USA. And the $200.stuff is called aquasol I believe. It's the only wormer for chickens otc

Thank you all for your suggestions! Going out today to get some of these!
I have some.chickens who lay eggs. Would I need to have a egg withdrawal with these medications suggestioned?
It's up to your whether you want to eat eggs or not. If you suspect that you or a family member may be allergic or have a reaction to the residue in the eggs, then toss them in the garbage. Do not sell nor give eggs away to eat.
I worm my birds monthly with various wormers and we eat the eggs. I'm still here typing.

Back
Top Bottom