Worms inside ducklings...

Breemae123

Songster
Mar 30, 2018
Several of our ducklings took a while to hatch. We helped hatch them and then brought them inside. Once one of the ducks detached from the egg the there was a hole where the ‘belly button’ was. I noticed movement inside of him. There was white worms (maybe maggots). We read you can soak the duckling in antibacterial water and it’ll flush them out. We got so many out but he still died. I separated them all but another died.

I just soaked the last one that’s alive and I found a large worm in the water. He isn’t doing well and I’m sure he won’t make it.

How did worms get inside my ducklings? How can I prevent this? I don’t want my other ducklings and ducks to get whatever this is...

We think it could possibly be flystrike? If anyone has ever heard of that. I don’t know how it got inside the egg though... had to have been while it was hatching.

Should I be worried that my family could get this? They’ve been in my house for days...

Updated: I meant hole where his ‘belly button’ should be. Not home

UPDATE2: unfortunately the little guy just passed away. It’s been a difficult few days for sure.

Attachments

• C3D23C5A-132B-439B-9183-93D3AA16D8F7.jpeg
    C3D23C5A-132B-439B-9183-93D3AA16D8F7.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Several of our ducklings took a while to hatch. We helped hatch them and then brought them inside. Once one of the ducks detached from the egg the there was a home where the ‘belly button’ was. I noticed movement inside of him. There was white worms (maybe maggots). We read you can soak the duckling in antibacterial water and it’ll flush them out. We got so many out but he still died. I separated them all but another died.

I just soaked the last one that’s alive and I found a large worm in the water. He isn’t doing well and I’m sure he won’t make it.

How did worms get inside my ducklings? How can I prevent this? I don’t want my other ducklings and ducks to get whatever this is...

We think it could possibly be flystrike? If anyone has ever heard of that. I don’t know how it got inside the egg though... had to have been while it was hatching.

Should I be worried that my family could get this? They’ve been in my house for days...
Sorry for your losses. Maggots in the belly button is called fly strike and it's deadly if not treated right away.

Back
Top Bottom