Would it be okay?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I'm getting 4 Frizzle chicks tomorrow from the feed store.
Earlier while cleaning out the brooder cage(rabbit cage), I accidentally snapped part of the bottom so now I can't use it. Since it's getting warmer, will it be okay to put them outside with Mouse and the 6 3 week old chicks?

Last year she accepted a second batch of chicks while still raising some others. I just want to know if it's possible she'll do it again.

This probably a stupid question but since the 6 3 week old chicks have feathers, they'll be fine keeping warm right?
Will the older chicks peck the younger ones or will mama make sure they don't?

And yes, the yard is secure enough that they won't be able to squeeze through the fence into the other 2 yards like the other chicks did.

We had four or five broody hens last year whose chicks hatched out a few days apart and we had to put up cardboard walls to keep some of them separated. After a day or two, the mama hens definitely know their own chicks from the neighbor kids and we very nearly had some casualties!

That being said, there were two mama hens who sat on four eggs close together and got them mixed up, and those two mamas raised those four chicks as one big happy family.

So I'd be real careful about adding day-olds into the mix and have some kind of backup plan. I've heard some folks say to add them in at night and hope she doesn't notice. It might also help to take two of hers away first and let them mingle with the newbies at least for several minutes so they get the scent of her own babies, then return them all at once. Can't hurt! Good luck, keep us posted!

We had four or five broody hens last year whose chicks hatched out a few days apart and we had to put up cardboard walls to keep some of them separated. After a day or two, the mama hens definitely know their own chicks from the neighbor kids and we very nearly had some casualties!

That being said, there were two mama hens who sat on four eggs close together and got them mixed up, and those two mamas raised those four chicks as one big happy family.

So I'd be real careful about adding day-olds into the mix and have some kind of backup plan. I've heard some folks say to add them in at night and hope she doesn't notice. It might also help to take two of hers away first and let them mingle with the newbies at least for several minutes so they get the scent of her own babies, then return them all at once. Can't hurt! Good luck, keep us posted!
I was almost hoping that our BLR Wyandotte was definitely going broody but she decided not to.
I already know to add them at night, I did the same with the Polish chicks that Mouse is currently raising.

Back
Top Bottom