Would like some info on New World Quail

bfrancis

Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
I have an opportunity to purchase several breeding pairs of Gambel, California Valley, and Chestnut Belly Blue Scale. The guy is getting out of the quail biz...what I would like to know is what is a fair price per pair? What are some good or bad characteristics of each breed? Housing requirements for breeding and off season? Are they a "marketable" choice down the road?

My quail background is with Coturnix, so not a complete novice. Please, only people that have quail and knowledgeable reply.

A preemptive "Thanks" for words of wisdom.

I would say $50 a pair would be fair. The guy needs to get his share. That was what I was going to go for once I get pairs out of my pairs
smile.png
I personally love the Valleys. They are fun to listen to. I hatched mine out so they are tamer than ones that are not "hand raised" I suppose. Other breeders say they are skittish so I would prepare on the skittish side. Gambels are similar in Valleys in temperament. I haven't gotten a chance to observe Blue scale quail yet but I would assume they are similar to the others. Compared to the bobwhites I sure like the little hats on the Gambels and Valleys and the giggle sounds they make
smile.png

slightly larger then the bob's gambles are not as spazy as my bobs but the BS are even more spazy here localy the gamble valley are bringing 15-20$ / pr or $10-15 each depending on which breeder it is you are buying from BS and valleys are bringing the same from one guy the one guy that has them has pens 36" wide 30"deep and 30"high he is keeping 2 cock birds to 5 hens in this he has a fair number of tree limbs and all in these pens they seem to be working fairly well

Quote:
My Goodness, "skittish" is an understatement! I was able to purchase 2 male, 5 female Blue Scale, 1 pair California Valley and 1 pair of the Gambel's.
All really good looking birds and think are going to be an awesome addition to bird farm. Now I'd like to get 1 more male and 4 females of the Cali and Gambels to complete their little covies....anyone? Eggs would be fine.

Thanks for all the responses!

Well, I got my VERY FIRST EGG from A pair. The other pairs and trio haven't surprised me (although I should check) . But I have been dancing for joy this morning
wee.gif

It may be tough to find eggs this time of year, My guys are December '10 hatches so I wasn't expecting anything but that egg made my day today
big_smile.png

Congrats on your new additions!

ETA: grammatical error
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom