Would you worm a sick hen???

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Earlier I posted about a hen that's acting a bit off:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=259037

She's still acting strange. Won't eat. Did take a few bites of applesauce.
She just had a runny, mustard colored stool that according to the chickenkeeper's guide to poo is either a cecal stool or worms.

The flock was last wormed in November of 2008 with valbazen. I also have (generic) ivermectin pour on available.

Should I worm her when she is definitely run down?

Quote:
Thank you sooooooo much! Should I use the valbazen (albendazole) again or the ivermectin pour on?

Quote:
I'm sorry, I forgot to ask this question. Can you tell me the dose for ivermectin pour on? Is it 1/4 cc per five pounds of body weight?

If she is run down, it could be because of worms or something else. I would have a fecal done, about $15 at vet to see if there are worms, otherwise you are just taxing her system. I'd definitely give her a probiotic mash...do a search authored by glenda h., but mixture is usually unsweetened yogurt, buttermilk and chicken crumbles.

I think I'd start with the valbazen then follow up in 10 days with the Ivermectin. The Ivermectin is pretty strong (never used valbazen, maybe it is too?) and if she has a heavy load and they all die at once it can cause her problems. Better to use a milder wormer for the first go and follow up with the big guns. Good luck with her!!

Back
Top Bottom