? wound care thread ?

Nksg75

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Needville Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all, I have been searching for a thread and can’t seem to locate it. It’s specific to wound care for birds or and animal attacked and has either puncture wounds or serious open wounds. Can someone reply with the link to it. I am not having any luck in my search.

I had a unwelcome visitor yesterday in our back pasture and this dog or dogs caused quite a bit of carnage.
i have probably more supplies on hand that I need, however I just want to make sure to get it right.
they are all isolated in an extra horse stall, and basic emergency care has been [provided last night.
I have already flushed out all the wounds on all 5 chickens, some had puncture wounds, one has a larger piece of flesh missing.
i really just need that link if I can get it for my own piece of mind.
thanks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/wound-care-for-chickens.72385/

Here is one I found.

I'm so sorry!!! Inspect them again today to see if you missed anything, look for green bruising. Clean the wounds with saline, spray with bacitryn, trim feathers away from the wounds, slather them with antibiotic ointment.

Offer sweetened water, and entice then to eat with any treats and then offer their regular food. 💗

I can’t seem to find the article I was looking for. @casportpony has some good articles if you can locate them.

There are different products for different needs. For deep open predator wounds I would initially use chlorhexidene 2% spray or weak Betadine, or saline. Those are also good if a wound develops infection later. Triple Antibiotic/Plain Neosporin Ointment is good for coating wounds after cleaning them, until they heal. BluKote spray burns, and it should only be used for scrapes, minor wounds, or for preventing pecking later in healing wounds.

You will want to use something mild for every day wound care, something that doesn’t damage tissue. Plain normal saline is good and similar to the body’s pH, and some wound sprays such as Microsyn AH or Vetericyn and similar ones with hydrogel are very good for healing. You may also use human products with hydrogel, which is very mild and promotes healin.

Do not use hydrogen peroxide more than once (if that is all you have) as it can prevent wound healing.

Keep chickens separated with wounds, since they will be pecked because of the red color. Wire dog crates with food and water are good for separating. Keep wounded chickens warm enough, but not too hot. Offer sips of water and electrolytes may be helpful for a day or two.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/wound-care-for-chickens.72385/

Here is one I found.

I'm so sorry!!! Inspect them again today to see if you missed anything, look for green bruising. Clean the wounds with saline, spray with bacitryn, trim feathers away from the wounds, slather them with antibiotic ointment.

Offer sweetened water, and entice then to eat with any treats and then offer their regular food. 💗
Yes, thank you!! I will look at the link. I have done most of what you suggested except for the sugar water. I will be sure to add that. They have been drinking so far!

Thank you for the advice. Out of the five chickens in ICU Willy (aka One eyed Willy) who is 7 years old took the brunt of the abuse from these darn dogs. Poor guy was pretty much scalped clean of most of his feathers! He’s looking pretty bad in this photo, but he will bounce back I am sure of it!
Poor guy lost and eye years ago, then he got underfoot of a frisky horse and got trampled, lost his status as head rooster, yet still bounced back just fine! he is one tough guy!
he may look pretty pathetic, but I know he has the will to live!

Attachments

• 22E5590E-6CE7-46B4-9432-00D6EE405A64.jpeg
    22E5590E-6CE7-46B4-9432-00D6EE405A64.jpeg
    763.6 KB · Views: 11
Thank you for the advice. Out of the five chickens in ICU Willy (aka One eyed Willy) who is 7 years old took the brunt of the abuse from these darn dogs. Poor guy was pretty much scalped clean of most of his feathers! He’s looking pretty bad in this photo, but he will bounce back I am sure of it!
Poor guy lost and eye years ago, then he got underfoot of a frisky horse and got trampled, lost his status as head rooster, yet still bounced back just fine! he is one tough guy!
he may look pretty pathetic, but I know he has the will to live!
Poor baby!

Ok, one last question for anyone who sees this:
because the icu is in a stall(one that was being work on when this happened)
We just installed an auto fly spray system in the stalls, we have not hooked it up yet though. I am debating about just having it go off 2 times a day vs 5 or 6 times a day because of the icu chickens.
any thoughts on this?

Oops, ventilation is excellent. Spray is the typical horse fly spray stuff, Pyrahna is the name brand. I believe it contains permithium.(Sp?)

Back
Top Bottom