Wounded rooster

tiffvitorino

Chirping
Apr 14, 2015
not sure how this happened he was fine a few days ago. His head is bare and comb turning black. He is my favorite. Is this from my other rooster? Or something else wrong. Do I seperate them? I have 3 roosters in the pen he is the Middle Aged one. I have another pw but it has a stubborn broody in it.

The other roosters are probably chasing him and grabbing onto his comb to flog him. You could move him, but it's likely they'll take up the fighting again when reintroduced.

Put some pressure on it if it is really bleeding a lot, and blood stop powder, flour or corn starch can help it clot. Clotting usually happens within 3 minutes of steady pressure with a cloth. Most combs will stop bleeding unless they are repeatedly injured. I would separate them permanently.

He doesn't let me get close to him. I have separated him but only other pen is with a broody hen that has been sitting on eggs for like 30 days. Will they harm each other? I don't have much other choices. So if I get close enough is tossing some flower or corn starch on it okay?

If he has a roost in the new pen, you should be able to grab him tonight and examine it. It should clot on it's own, though. Has she been sitting on chicken eggs for 30 days that were started at the same time? It only takes 21 days for chickens, so they are not going to hatch. If they are another species, then some take that long. I would place the broody back in with her flock if the eggs are not viable, but with caustion because she may be attacked.

Back
Top Bottom