Wrapping your roost

Sbr73

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
New Jersey
Hi,

Does anyone wrap the 2x4 that your hens roost on so it is cushioned and they don’t get bumble foot? Maybe wrapping in flannel? Is it a good idea or not? TIA

My vet suggested wrapping the roosts to help after a couple of hens got bumblefoot from hardware cloth edge that got exposed. I do sand the edges of 2x4’s. Since the pandemic the wood available isn’t as well milled as it used to be so lots of rough edges.

My vet told me to cover my roosts.Mine are 1”x6”,dimensions chickens pick most.
I have rubber mats,cut to fit on top,duk taped.Works great.I still bleach them,cleaned everyday,they need new tape occasionally.
My hens are seriously loved,so ,yes ,every consideration is given to their well being.No different then dog,or cats.
I have treated bummblefoot.Some go away completely,others you just manage ,so it stays small.Lots of work,bandages changed daily,weeks sometimes.
Roosts being lower,and also lower nests,helps as well.I use the heights given on this site.
18” and 15” for nests.My heavy breeds,are in no jumping smaller coops.Everything only few inches up to nest or roost.

Back
Top Bottom