Wry Neck quail chick

Ok, thanks,
I already got 7.5 kg of quail layers pellets and I thought it would
probably be good for them
:/

The first two chicks hatched perfectly but

Last three quail that had trouble hatching. After three days of trying to get out of shells I carefully helped. Their toes are all drawn up and one has a curved neck. I think it’s from remaining in the shells so long. Anything I can do?

The first two chicks hatched perfectly but

Last three quail that had trouble hatching. After three days of trying to get out of shells I carefully helped. Their toes are all drawn up and one has a curved neck. I think it’s from remaining in the shells so long. Anything I can do?
Next time you may want to start your own thread rather than reply to one that's 9 years old, but I'll try to answer you.

One thing to keep in mind, chicks that have trouble hatching often have trouble for reasons. These may be okay with treatment, but they may not make it.

There's not much you can do for wry neck in quail. I have heard that chickens may respond to B12, but I have not had that experience with quail. The good news on this is that a quail can live a mostly normal life with wry neck as long as it can eat and drink normally.

As for the curled toes, you can try to fix them with tape "shoes". Bandaids cut down to size work well for this. Tape the toes into the proper position. They should be good in no more than 24 hours if this is going to work. If it doesn't, it will probably be kindest to cull.

Next time you may want to start your own thread rather than reply to one that's 9 years old, but I'll try to answer you.

One thing to keep in mind, chicks that have trouble hatching often have trouble for reasons. These may be okay with treatment, but they may not make it.

There's not much you can do for wry neck in quail. I have heard that chickens may respond to B12, but I have not had that experience with quail. The good news on this is that a quail can live a mostly normal life with wry neck as long as it can eat and drink normally.

As for the curled toes, you can try to fix them with tape "shoes". Bandaids cut down to size work well for this. Tape the toes into the proper position. They should be good in no more than 24 hours if this is going to work. If it doesn't, it will probably be kindest to cull.
Thank you. I don’t use this site very often and I forget how to start a new thread. 🤔

Thank you. I don’t use this site very often and I forget how to start a new thread. 🤔
To start a new thread, from the forum main page "Forums > Other Backyard Poultry > Quail", click in the box that says "Thread title" and type a subject, such as "Wry Neck".

1708635562488.png

It will suggest other threads to read, or you can post a new one by typing in the "Message" box:
1708635675736.png

Back
Top Bottom