Wyndotte-only watery poo, paleness, wing droop -- cause?

moconnell

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2022
Good afternoon all, long-time listener, first-time caller :D

We've had a flock of 6 chickens, all under 2.5 years old. Last fall, our smallest Wyndotte exhibited some hesitancy when walking, often holding it up for a pause before stepping, some stumbling. One wing kept drooping more. Was like that for about 3 months and finally died (acting sleepy, leaning, and wouldn't walk the last two days) I attributed this to possible Marek's breakthrough at the time. All chickens have been Marek's vaccinated as chicks (allegedly). All other birds fine, or so they appear.

About two months later, as soon as it got a bit warmer, my other Wyndotte (second smallest) started the wing droop and paleness. I've quarantined her to her own cage to one side to monitor. Eats alot (pellets, scratch), still drinks alot. Seems to have energy and wants to escape to join the others. The shavings in the cage are wet, which must be coming from her and her poops. Poops look like watery sand or similar to soaked crumble feed but darker. No discernable blood. Vent area is wet.

The outside area they run around had been "moshpit-like" as it warmed up, rained and snowed for the past few weeks. So i'm wondering if there is a dormant bacteria, worms, or other grossness frozen underfoot and now affecting the other bird? From research I'm now moving towards that and not Mareks or Tuberculosis...

So my questions...
- Should I do a regimen of deworming (if so, what brand ...this would be my first time doing so? Thoughts?
- And should I also deworm the others (and not eat the eggs?) They appear to not be phased, but I'm not taking chances.

Things I've done:
Separation
Regular medicated feed, some seeds/cracked corn
Water has Avian Electrolyte mix, and ACV added.

Thanks so much for the advice over the few years.

Last edited:
I would consider worms. Can you get a fecal slide done? That would be helpful in discerning which may be present and what dewormer would be most effective.
Safeguard is a good general dewormer. @casportpony has some good information on that, you can look through her old threads. I'll see if I can find one for you.

Did the Safeguard treatment per the G. Damerow advice in her book: 3 days of dose, then 10 days wait, and then another 3 days of dose. I've opted to put mix it in with the water (single source for the sick hen apart from the others). Interstingly enough, she looked much better after the 3 days of Safeguard. At the tail end of the 10 day waiting period, she looked increasingly worse again as she did before any treatment, so today begins the second round. Fingers crossed.

Did notice the poos firmed up since treatment. Should I be considering alternatives like Corid (ampr.) in case its a case of adult Cocci?

Back
Top Bottom