x-racehorse with lead problems, suggestions?

amillecay

Songster
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
I guess I could go on backyardherds to but I thought I would ask on here first :)

Okay so I have a horse, she is an x-racehorse and I am having problems with her taking the left lead, what I normally do is turn her head a bit to the outside and boot her with my left foot, this is what my grandpa has me doing BUT it only works everyonce in a while and I have a show coming up of which I won't beable to be in all the classes if I have this problem, please tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Where should I have my foot when I boot her (as I have heard people saying it needs to be back and up?) and what should I be doing with her head, still turning? I do have a small problem with seeing what lead she is in so that is the biggest problem for me, but I have my grandpa there for that since i'm still workin' on it anyway thank you to who ever answers :)

Well, it sounds like there could be a couple of reasons why she in not picking up her left lead. One could be lameness in the left leg. Do you notice if she will pick up the left lead while cantering in the pasture on her own? If there is no lameness then it could also be mis-communication between horse and rider via the aids. Yes, when asking for canter your leg can go back slightly behind the girth for the opposite leg you wish to lead (left lead canter, use your right leg and vice versa). I would suggest taking lessons from an instructor that can evaluate you ride by ride and notice if your horse is off, what you are doing and helping you. Good luck.
smile.png

Spend lots of time going to the left. All horses have a favorite direction. You need to work on different things. If you only ask her to take the left lead she will sour from the same exercise over and over. Do a lot of figure eights at the trot and other exercises that constantly change directions to teach her to be comfortable bending. Ask for the canter with your inside leg, not your outside. You can pull her head to the fence and keep the reign slightly tight and ask for the canter with the inside leg. You need to work on being able to decipher which lead she is on by feeling it not looking at it. A judge will look at your ques. They definitely don't want to see your horses head pulled to the side while asking for the canter or you bending over to look at which lead you are on. Anything other eye movement on your part will be a deduction. I agree with having a few lessons with a trainer or have an equine vet watch you ride and evaluate the soundness of the horse. Unfortunately the bulk of horses off the track have lameness issues. They are started way too young and their legs and joints can't handle it. They seem to be starting horses earlier and earlier in every genre. It is sad that many show horses are physically done by the time they reach double digits in age. Good luck, practice makes perfect, don't rush into the show ring before you are ready.

I was in a horse show last year with a different horse, this will be the first time with this one, she does have a problem with going lame but she is not lame at the moment we watch all of them pretty often. Okay so I seemed to have gotten mixed up I meant to get the left lead I will que her with the right foot and turn her head ever so slightly (you can't tell to much) to the right.Today went much, much better, both of us seemed to have it together a bit more today than the other day. She took the leads quite well but I will keep working on her till we have it down, my grandpa is my instructor, all his horses are x-racehorses turned into Polo horses of which he rode and played on for a long time so it really isn't easy putting them in the show ring but I have done it and will continue! :) thanks guys but I seem to have if figured out, I mean I did change a few things so we'l see were this puts me.

What's important is what leg SHE is on when you boot her. Pay attention so her hind legs, when going on the left lead, her right hind should be picked up, so she can shove off with the outside (left) leg. Also, her nose should be to the inside, YOU look where you're going, so should she! Here's an excellent blogger who's a horse trainer, she explains things really well and has nuggets of information in each of her training stories: http://mugwumpchronicles.blogspot.com/

Quote:
First off, you need to FEEL which lead you are in, not look. This is generally very easy. Your own hips should tell you. As you canter/lope around the arena, which one of your hips feels like it is moving ahead of the other? THAT's the lead your horse is using.

The best way I know to practice your leads is to work figure eights in the practice arena. Your horse will automatically want to switch leads as you switch directions in the middle of the eight. Decide what "cue" you want to use to reinforce that instinct and use it each time you make the switch in the middle of the eight. He should quickly begin to understand that the cue means to switch leads. The more you do it, the easier it will become for him to switch and the more willing he will be to make the switch based on your cue. Over time he will begin to understand that you are communicating with him to help him. It is uncomfortable to be in the wrong lead after you change directions in the circle and his instincts will tell him to switch. It's up to you to help him recognize that you are trying to help him. Be sure to TELL him he's done a good job each and every time he does it right. After he has that down pat, then you expand to asking for the change at other times, always using the cue you've already established and ALWAYS telling him when he's done it right. I've always found that my horses respond to praise a lot better than to correction, so always try to set him up to do new things correctly precisely so that you CAN praise him for it. He'll catch on a lot quicker that way!

HTH

Rusty

try this:

Rope Horses and the Left Lead
This month I received an email that says, “I have a problem getting my head horse in the left lead and he is kind of rough to ride. Is there any thing I can work on to get him to change leads?”
It is very important for rope horses to take their left lead. There used to be folks who trained rope horses that would never lope a horse to the right. I don’t agree with that because a horse needs to be balanced, able to control himself and be able to change leads. If a steer goes to the left or to the right, your horse needs to switch leads and go to the cow.
First check for any physical problems in his left shoulder or hind end. Most of the time when a horse won’t take a lead it’s because something is hurting him.
Once physical problems are eliminated, get your horse into a round pen and lope him to the left – a lot. If you have access to a Priefert panel walker with compartments it will save you many hours. My walker has paneled compartments where a horse is not tied at all. You can have them lope, in either direction, for as long as you want.
Practice riding your horse and making him take his lead. One way people cheat at this is to ride towards the fence then turn him to the left as he gets there and kick, making him take the left lead. Another thing some trainers do is while loping straight; slightly pull the horse’s nose in the opposite direction of the lead you want them to take. For instance, loping straight and pulling your horse’s nose to the right and kicking with your right foot will force your horse to extend his leg front leg.
It’s hard to make your horse take the left lead from the box. Pointing him towards the chute and aimed at the cow gives you a better chance of him leaving in the left lead. You don’t want to do this at a roping or behind a barrier because his head will block your line of sight and you can’t see where the cow is or where’s he’s going.
There are always some horses that are naturally right leaded and it will take many circles to the left to overcome this tendency.

Back
Top Bottom