Yellow Legged Buff Orpington?

redoak

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Russia, NY
One of my 6 week old buff orpington roosters has yellow legs. The rest of the orpingtons all have pinkish legs, including the other rooster. Beak and feather color are all the same in the 8 chicks. Did the hatchery make a mistake and send me a buff rock instead of a buff orpington?

That's something this newbie to chickens didn't know! Ran to the entryway to see what color my chick's legs were, pink, WHEW! I might've been talking 'bout things that weren't true, like it was God's Awful Truth;) (One of my fav things to remind myself but forget often: Not everything you hear is God's Awful Truth...)

edited to include: ...and not everything I SAY is God's Awful Truth...

Last edited:
whew!! I had to go check legs just now....I thought oh no...but thank goodness mine have pink legs.

Huh...interesting. will have to check my BO's when I get home. I think all three have yellow legs!

A very common mistake.... Pure Buff Orpingtons have white /pinkish legs from day one
wink.png
..Buff Rocks are just as nice but they are the yellow legs ...

It is a mistake alot of people are making lately. Buff rocks are very nice but there is a difference in the breed standards of the orps and the rocks.

If a yellow leg should turn up in a buff orp and it is without a doubt a buff orp that chick should be culled but alot of people don't raise for the perfection standard and refuse to cull a bad specimen. It should never be used to breed. It is a major defect in the standard of perfection. If it is bred it shouldn't be passed on as an orp because it perpetuates the flaw.

Well I guess I have buff rocks, I ordered Orpingtons, but these have very pale yellow legs. Mine are 5 weeks, 2 are pullets for sure but the third (Maggie) has a much larger and more red comb and wattles. Also Maggie has darker feathers that are not as fluffy as her sisters. I hope she is a he, because she is so sweet. Is 5 weeks too early to tell?

This post got me to thinking...so I went home and checked our three "BO".

Their legs are not a bright yellow...nor are their beaks. But they arent pink either. I would say they are a soft yellowish white.

Sounds to me like I have the exact scenario that MissPrissy stated. Poorly breed Buff Orps. Guess my girls wont be showing these.

Anyway...the BO roo we have is the nicest, friendlies chicken of our 10. Hope the neighbors dont make us get rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom