Yet Another DUMB Question....SEVERE WEATHER COMING....

2txmedics

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Manvel Texas
I have my babies outside and they have been doing great in there coop/run....house is 4'x4'x4 1/2' its huge....for the 4 of them...and there run is like 10x20....its secured from predators...but we have heavy rain, with temps dropping to 47 today...I do lock them up at night in there coop.....They are 5wks old and are doing real good outside....

My question is this....are ducks dumb like chickens? My chickens will stay outside in severe flood and rain, and I have to go outside and grab them and put them in a coop and lock the door....do ducks know to go in the coop??? on there own?

Im worried about them, DH Says they will be fine, there ducks and ducks swim.....ahhhhhh, not mine! There my babies....I want to protect them!

Last edited:
Nope, they are going to stay outside and when it rains they are going to dig HUGE mud craters for you to fall down into and break and ankle. Then as they get older the craters get bigger and bigger and deeper and deeper.

I would personally make sure everyone was SAFE. Some poultry (especially turkeys) are pretty stupid when it comes to protection. But being their "protector", do what your heart tells you!

We had really bad weather a few weeks ago (our duckies are about the same age). They free range in the yard and I left the pen open with their heat lamp inside hoping that they would go in when the weather got really bad. Instead my little chickens went in their pen and the ducks wanted to stay out to play in the rain and mud puddles. I had to shoo the chickens out and herd the ducks back in. At the age they are now and with all the feathers they have developed, I don't think I would worry too much if I left them out in that same wether. Just make sure that they have a dry place that they can escape to. If it gets too bad just herd them in their home and close them up. Ducks sure love bad weather though...

Ducks seem to love it when it rains and get all excited and run around, play in the mud, and dig holes. If it were me, though, I would put them inside considering how young they still are and how cold it is.

Ok, thanks everyone.....Ive put them in there house, with a wire cage top over the door, this way they can pop out a tiny bit.....its one of those rabbit hutch covers (wire)....it covers the front of the door perfect on t here house. I put fresh shavings and I put the bottom part of the rabbit hutch (plastic inside the coop and put there food and water in there so they can keep there shaving somewhat dry...hope it works.

Back
Top Bottom