YO GEORGIANS! :)

I don't think you have to worry. It won't be cold long enough to worry. Think about the chickens in Alaska (-30), or those where it is below freezing for days and weeks at a time. THAT IS COLD AND NEED TO WORRY. I think your two moms will be fine with them for one or two days. Do you think our grandfathers had heat lamps? Just make sure the area is without drafts and dry!
Yeah, my mom keeps saying, " Grandma's chickens stayed up in the trees or in the barn with no electricity". Then you see sites that say the chicks need to be kept warm like 95 degrees. It's so confusing. I'm not too worried about the grown ones just the well 6 day olds now. It is dry and no drafts. I found something similar to the thermo-cube that comes on at 38 degrees and goes off at 50 so I got it just in case I freak out. I got some more straw to put in the bottom of the free ranger's open air pen so hopefully that will help them. Just worried now that the tarps over their pens are going to blow off. They are stretched to their max now. Because we live in a valley (hence the name valleychicks) we get a lot of wind through here anyway but when the wind is real strong, look out!

Amazon has the chicken socks, i got some. They are better for smaller feet though, I'm a women's 11 and they were tight
1f61e.png

We've added Southern Fowl Outdoors, Jackson High School FFA, and Ola High School FFA to the event list in addition the the IH Farmall Club and the Boy Scouts. Make sure to bring a can food item for the Boy Scouts food drive.

Back
Top Bottom