YO GEORGIANS! :)

Just wanted to stop in and say hello. It‘s been a little while but chicken wise all is good.. my flock is still going well, we lost a few over the last 6/7 months. 1 was our fault, we were expanding the run area, and the electric fence was offline for a few days. Our little injured girl (pretty sure she had a Injured/broke leg) didn’t make the trip up the ramp to the coop one evening, and something got into the area and ate her. We had a weird run of neurological issue on our new pullets we bought at 10/11 weeks they would act like the left right side of the body wouldn’t work, vet test came back negative for anything major and vet was stumped on what it was, so we ended up culling 3 girls just to not let them suffer. I ended up with a few to many roosters, so I thinned that part of the flock down form 4 to 2. But over all still a good flock 13 birds (2 roosters). We are going to add a few more laying hens in this spring to get back to the original number of girly’s.

edit: I failed to mention the ones with issues were TSC wonder chicks, in sale @75% off end of the season. They were never very smart to begin with. Had to save a few from drowning themselves a couple times.

if @hysop remembers the early pictures of my flock and maybe a few other of you in here also. Here is a pic yesterday when they all decided the porch was there hang out.. sorry about the muddy paw prints on the door, doggy was trying to tell us the girls were on the porch. View attachment 2536347
@hysop

Btw here is a picture I took this morning of the girls out playing. They are loving being out in the coop and run for sure. That’s supposed to be my little man Maltese he so needs to go to the groomers, Corona kinda made that not happen. If you ask him he will let you know these are his babies.

View attachment 2144306
View attachment 2144307
Went back to when you posted about your flock. And wow they’ve grown up!! I see they free range now!

Thanks for the update! That’s crazy about the ones with the neurological issues. Were they a mix of breeds or a specific breed?

Went back to when you posted about your flock. And wow they’ve grown up!! I see they free range now!

Thanks for the update! That’s crazy about the ones with the neurological issues. Were they a mix of breeds or a specific breed?
Supposed to have been Speckled Sussex from TSC so who really knows lol.

in the new picture the rooster in bottom right is from the same batch of 6 we got that day of SS. He’s is an amazing little man. Not to much into the the touchy-feely stuff but will follow my daughter around the yard and meet her at the gate every mornin. We got lucky with him, he’s going to be a good flock protector. Not aggressive at all towards us, the cats or dogs, but let a stray wander in the yard be goes bonkers. Then the pups go running to help him.

wow I’ve not seen that picture in some time. Wow they have grown up Hahahaha

Well good morning!! :frow

The trip to the chicken flea market, went good yesterday went after 3 new laying hens ended up with 5 new laying hens. Damn that pesky chicken math.

i’ll try to get some good pictures over the next few days. It was getting late yesterday afternoon, when we got home so we rushed to get them into the isolation coop. I didn’t realize my daughter didn’t do a great job cleaning it Friday 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ , so we had to clean that out, while racing to keep sunlight. I’m fixing to head out and let them out of the isolation part of the coop back to the isolation part of the run.

Well good morning!! :frow

The trip to the chicken flea market, went good yesterday went after 3 new laying hens ended up with 5 new laying hens. Damn that pesky chicken math.

i’ll try to get some good pictures over the next few days. It was getting late yesterday afternoon, when we got home so we rushed to get them into the isolation coop. I didn’t realize my daughter didn’t do a great job cleaning it Friday 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ , so we had to clean that out, while racing to keep sunlight. I’m fixing to head out and let them out of the isolation part of the coop back to the isolation part of the run.
What kind of chickens? Or just barnyard mixes?

The humidity in my incubator dropped to the 20s overnight I guess. And one chick was practically zipped but it was dead. Poor thing. It was shrink wrapped (is that the term for when everything is dry and hard?). I felt so bad. I should have woken up earlier and/or added a ton of water last night. In the summer it doesn’t get like this but I guess winter dries up the air.

on a happy note, the only brown egg I incubated turned out to be a Turken instead of the Barred Rock I thought. I only have 2 breeds that lay brown eggs.

The humidity in my incubator dropped to the 20s overnight I guess. And one chick was practically zipped but it was dead. Poor thing. It was shrink wrapped (is that the term for when everything is dry and hard?). I felt so bad. I should have woken up earlier and/or added a ton of water last night. In the summer it doesn’t get like this but I guess winter dries up the air.

on a happy note, the only brown egg I incubated turned out to be a Turken instead of the Barred Rock I thought. I only have 2 breeds that lay brown eggs.
not 💯 sure on the breeds.

Definitely not the best pictures in the world. Daughter took these these yesterday real fast.
bad news or I guess good news. They have learned how to break out of the isolation run, so they spent most the day yesterday free ranging with the rest of the flock with no issues. one or two normal set the pecking order squabbles but no feathers lost or blood so I’ll let It go. they roosted with the other hens last night, on one end of the roost bar but still a good sign..

FA1BBB50-E608-4BFC-B374-53214F12CC03.jpeg
8154B746-5CFF-4617-8A10-4B6D70C8E898.jpeg
58FC9F6E-4C75-464B-8146-35838D68A951.jpeg
795C5BBD-DC64-42C7-AB9C-217E6C04DAE5.jpeg

That stinks about the baby. Ya it was low humidity around here yesterday I had to break out the chap stick a few times. Hopefully the rest hatch ok.

Missed the ones I took opps lol really not sure what breeds one day I’ll figure it out.

first 2 pict are of Big Bertha. She’s a big girl. She has already taken the fake eggs and golf balls into a corner and sat on them yesterday for about an hour.
9ED4BE48-91AB-41B0-BA11-BF019B5C9C2A.jpeg
4F000F26-84CE-4338-8963-0396A76352A3.jpeg

3rd is Goldy Locks
rest don’t have names yet.

94E12928-A234-49F9-BD94-2AB1CB5BB231.jpeg
D07F96C8-246C-4643-B8F9-FF909308F106.jpeg
37565424-475A-4531-AAC4-45566330879C.jpeg

not 💯 sure on the breeds.

Definitely not the best pictures in the world. Daughter took these these yesterday real fast.
bad news or I guess good news. They have learned how to break out of the isolation run, so they spent most the day yesterday free ranging with the rest of the flock with no issues. one or two normal set the pecking order squabbles but no feathers lost or blood so I’ll let It go. they roosted with the other hens last night, on one end of the roost bar but still a good sign..

View attachment 2540548View attachment 2540549View attachment 2540550View attachment 2540551
The reason for quarantine is in case the ones you just bought are carrying a sickness and can infect your whole flock but no point in separating then now if they’ve mingled.

Hopefully you got lucky and they were healthy birds. I have no idea on the breeds either and if they’re barnyard mixes they are pretty. Glad they’re getting along.

Anybody on BYC live in Georgia?
I'm gonna make a list of Georgians below! Let's get the LONGEST list possible! Each name counts one point, and mods or staff are worth 5 points!

Georgians' names collected so far:
1. SeramaSweetie
2. Pumpkinpup
3. porteryork
4. rooster-red
5. jonbanks
6. Chix-in-GA
7. mazdacrzy
8. Missouri chick
9. bantyman
10. 1acrefarm
11. EggCentric