You brahma people have done it

My most recent Brahma could achieve about 18" of wing-assisted hop if POWERFULLY motivated by the thought that someone else was getting a treat she wasn't sharing.

They're BIG, heavy girls without the wing power to get all that mass off the ground. Not like my lightweight California Whites, who fly quite nicely even when mature. 

It's not a large sample size, by my Dark Brahmas have been more broody than my Light Brahmas. One of the girls in my in-town flock actually managed to hide an egg from me despite my regular checks and hatched it.

This is very interesting, funny enough, I prefer dark brahmas way more, and even more so partridge and blue partridge brahmas

I had 4 light Brahmas at one point. 1, hen had a immune system disorder that lead to a worm overload, & death.

That left me with 3. Out of the remaining 3 I hatched eggs for my Giant Silkie Project. I butchered 2, but left one to continue laying, & to keep the hen number up until butcher day. The last one ended up catching the flu I had, & had to be put down this year.

Sorry for that :hugs

I have had many large Light Brahmas over the years and they are wonderful chickens. Right now I have a trio of Dark Brahma Bantams and they are nice birds too. One of the hens who came from the other two has transformed into the best setting hen I have ever had. She is a great brooder and mother staying with her offspring for up to 10 weeks after hatch. And her chicks have been very easy to handle due to her calm nature while raising them. The OP would love this breed.

I really hope so. So far it seems pretty perfect for me. I want large, poofy, calm birds, friendly but not necessarily cuddle bugs, (I have my aseel rooster for that;)
I have had many large Light Brahmas over the years and they are wonderful chickens. Right now I have a trio of Dark Brahma Bantams and they are nice birds too. One of the hens who came from the other two has transformed into the best setting hen I have ever had. She is a great brooder and mother staying with her offspring for up to 10 weeks after hatch. And her chicks have been very easy to handle due to her calm nature while raising them. The OP would love this breed.

) and ok brooders but excellent mothers. Plus I love their whole build and most of their colors!

I can not gush enough about my Brahma's. Think @3KB's was spot on in her description. I'd like to add that none out of my 8 light B's have ever gone broody, 1 out of 2 of my dark B's did and 2 out of 8 of my Buff B's have gone broody. My dark B was super easy and sweet to break and she never we broody again. I let my Buff B's hatch and they were are wonderful trusted moms.
20220822_142856~2.jpg
20220831_163419.jpg

My buffs stay prettier than my lights- may be breeding- always composed and the sweetest of the sweet.
I live in the tropics (humid) but on the dryer, hotter side of the isle. They tolerate it well and one of the main reasons I keep and have added more B's into my flock. I also hobby breed my B's pure & mixes. The Brahma gene improves all.
Laying wise I am not complaining but do look to my young mixes to carry the egg burden (I sell & give).
20230125_094509.jpg
Brahmas get along with everyone and it is easy to add to my flock when I want or need.
If you are looking for lovely garden art that you can talk to plus many other pluses, they will deliver.
20230113_071532.jpg
20220126_180020~3.jpg
20220426_083432~3.jpg
20221128_153927.jpg
20220615_062241~2.jpg
20220622_060917.jpg
20220930_173339~2.jpg
20230113_071835.jpg

I can not gush enough about my Brahma's. Think @3KB's was spot on in her description. I'd like to add that none out of my 8 light B's have ever gone broody, 1 out of 2 of my dark B's did and 2 out of 8 of my Buff B's have gone broody. My dark B was super easy and sweet to break and she never we broody again. I let my Buff B's hatch and they were are wonderful trusted moms.View attachment 3404957View attachment 3404958
My buffs stay prettier than my lights- may be breeding- always composed and the sweetest of the sweet.
I live in the tropics (humid) but on the dryer, hotter side of the isle. They tolerate it well and one of the main reasons I keep and have added more B's into my flock. I also hobby breed my B's pure & mixes. The Brahma gene improves all.
Laying wise I am not complaining but do look to my young mixes to carry the egg burden (I sell & give).View attachment 3404962Brahmas get along with everyone and it is easy to add to my flock when I want or need.
If you are looking for lovely garden art that you can talk to plus many other pluses, they will deliver.View attachment 3404938View attachment 3404940View attachment 3404941View attachment 3404964View attachment 3404944View attachment 3404955View attachment 3404965View attachment 3404937

Beautiful birds, and a very nice description, thank you! Well I guess light brahma are out, not complaining though. Thankfully we do not have freezing ice winters here in Greece, maybe one or two weeks, maybe three, but that's it. So overall they seem like a good choice!

Back
Top Bottom