Young Duck Started Laying then Randomly Stopped

ChickForLife

Walking my Chicken
Apr 22, 2020
🌲Connecticut🌲
One of my ducks, a Welsh Harlequin I think, started laying eggs a few weeks ago. She kept laying pretty constantly for about a week or so, then randomly she stopped. No more eggs. She did lay some outside before then but I checked and none outside. She hasn't layed a single egg in about one week. I put some ping pong balls in the duck house (I think that is what it is called, maybe coop I am not sure) and gave them oyster shells in a bowl, but no laying. Is she just taking a break? Maybe because it is colder she stopped? If this is a problem how should I treat it?

She could be hiding them. Ducks dig down in bedding or other areas to make a nest for their eggs. But, most likely its because shes young. Initially young layers start and stop. They will become regular layers the more they mature. Seasons and natural lighting affects laying as well.

She could be hiding them. Ducks dig down in bedding or other areas to make a nest for their eggs. But, most likely its because shes young. Initially young layers start and stop. They will become regular layers the more they mature. Seasons and natural lighting affects laying as well.
I took out all their bedding in the coop and didn't find a thing.

I have 2 Khaki Campbell's that started laying a couple of weeks ago. We'd get one egg from each of them, every morning and then we only got 1. It was like that a few days and we had 2 again....this morning I found none and later my husband sent this picture......that baby egg was hidden in the hay and he's comparing it to the normal egg. Is there something wrong with her to lay an egg like that?

Attachments

• IMG_5930.jpg
    IMG_5930.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 4
I have 2 Khaki Campbell's that started laying a couple of weeks ago. We'd get one egg from each of them, every morning and then we only got 1. It was like that a few days and we had 2 again....this morning I found none and later my husband sent this picture......that baby egg was hidden in the hay and he's comparing it to the normal egg. Is there something wrong with her to lay an egg like that?
When hens first lay, there are blips in the system. This is considered a fairy egg. Once they lay regularly, the kinks get worked out.

Back
Top Bottom